Bottom Round Beef Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don C.

TVWBB Super Fan
What is it? I can get them at BJ's for 20 bucks and they weigh aproxx. 12 to 20lbs(of course the bigger ones cost more).

They have fat on both sides but not thick.

Are these things BBQ worthy?

I am asking beacuse brisket is getting very hard to find in my area for some reason and after 5 racks of ribs, we are wanting to do something else.

Tho the bone in turkey breast was a success.

Rath *Mom always said my head was a vacuum, and I just said, yup, more room for knowledge*

Rath,
Bottom Round Beef Flat is suitable for making BBQed beef (pulled/ shredded). Beef Food Service website recommends cooking slowly in liquid.
Bottom Round
You might want to use Kevin Krugers brisket method on this. Smoke, foil and add beef stock. Bring to temp.

I've done these before by smoking for several hours then transferring into a crock pot with broth, which I assume has the same effect as foiling with beef stock. The end result is a dry pot roast with a bit of smoke flavor. I guess it's an improvement over dry pot roast with no smoke flavor, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
Now I do it 2 different ways: 1) Rub, let sit, then smoke heavily at 300 or so until it's 140 - 150 internal. Slice thin against the grain and serve. Very tasty.
2) Inject with teryaki marinade, and let the whole roast marinade in a plastic bag overnight. Cook like 1) above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back