Bottom of genesis starting to rust

Issom

TVWBB Fan
When I open the doors on my genesis I notice bubbing under the paint and i got some rust flaking off. I want touch it up. I'm planning on cleaning the surface rust down to bare metal and touch it up. My ? Is would u use the closest gray to the weber color or go with bed liner since it's no where near heat and it'd pretty scratch resistant. I would be doing both sides of the bottom tray.

Either would be ok. There is a 3rd option - you could replace the bottom panel

this paint from Tractor Supply is a good match0021A6A5-D0FB-4F58-B24C-581498D8C1AA.jpeg

If you are talking about the E3xx grills, then Massey Furgusen gray is a near perfect match. I forget the brand that makes it.

If you are talking about the black Genesis Silver B cabinets, then I would just use Rustoleum 2x Gloss or semi-gloss black.
Bedliner is definitely an option. It would last much longer than paint.

When I open the doors on my genesis I notice bubbing under the paint and i got some rust flaking off. I want touch it up. I'm planning on cleaning the surface rust down to bare metal and touch it up. My ? Is would u use the closest gray to the weber color or go with bed liner since it's no where near heat and it'd pretty scratch resistant. I would be doing both sides of the bottom tray.
Picture of grill would be very helpful.

That's a newer version where the Massey Furgusen gray is supposed to be a match. I haven't found it locally.

I found it on Amazon for 8.16 a can with 8.22 shipping and $1.19 tax

Home Depot has six cans for $25, and free shipping. We'll see if the order arrives or not. I've had orders get accepted and then later cancelled.

This is the before I'm done
That doesn't look too bad. You should be able to salvage it. You will have to remove the bottom to get to the rust between the bottom and sides. I took out the internals and took off the hood to make it much lighter and then put it on a couple of saw horses with a board. After getting it apart you will have to grind all the rust and I used Rustoleum Rust reformer, then paint.

If I was going to refinish that piece, I would use POR15 instead of spray paint. I’ve had good luck with that product.
Gerry

If I was going to refinish that piece, I would use POR15 instead of spray paint. I’ve had good luck with that product.
Gerry
Looks like interesting stuff. Have you tried the POR-15 Cleaner Degreaser on grills? If so any better than Simple Green?

Back