Boneless vs. bone-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, my first cook is over, and it was a moderate success. I made a 6-lb. boneless Boston butt. Everyone seemed to like it, but I know it could have been better.

The problem was that it took so long that I had to take it off before I wanted to. People started saying "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?" (It didn't help that I forgot about the time change, and I got a late start!)

So I'm wondering, do bone-in butts cook any faster? I'm thinking that the bones might help heat up the meat.

Note for next time: don't do a long cook on the first day of daylight savings.

--Mick

Mickey,

Since you need to figure about two hours per pound for pulled pork, consider overnight cooking to take the pressure off. You can put a butt on at around midnight, go to bed and forget about it, take it off the next afternoon, and keep it warm until supper time. Makes for a much more relaxed experience, gives you plenty of time to get to the desired temp, and you won't need to rush to pull and prepare the pork. I always do butts this way, unless they're unusually small.

Steve

Hi Mickey!

I cook only bone-in butts and they tend to take the full 2 hours per pound so you will not save any time.

Here is a tip for you............ALWAYS allow an extra couple of hours for cooking and serving a butt. It is much better and easier to finish 2 hours ahead rather than try and rush things.

Matter of fact, I would build even more time into your cooks until you get a good handle on the times. This will take some time, as you will find each cook can be different...especially with the changes in weather we have seen.

To store your BBQ meats if they get done early......wrap in foil, wrap this in a towel and place in a dry cooler...you can insulate the cooler by placing newspapers in the bottom of it. A large roast like a butt or brisket will keep HOT for many hours under these conditions.

Have fun!

Thanks your very helpful tips. It's great that there's a place like this to ask beginner questions.

I don't feel comfortable with the overnight cooking concept. I just don't like the idea of leaving a fire unattended on my deck. Plus, I think I need a little more WSM experience before I can know what to expect. Until I've reached that point, I like the idea of building in extra time, so I guess that will mean waking up extra early to fire up the cooker.

When I do finally take the plunge, is there anything I should know to make it safer to cook overnight? Has anyone ever experienced problems cooking that way?

Mick,
I doubt anyone will jump in and say that it is 100% fail safe, to use any type of cooker, on a wooden deck, and leave it unattended, without every worrying about something going tragically wrong.
We are talking low and slow, long cook times,for it to be considered respectable bbq. You need to get the bones out of bed, and start things off right. But, trust me on this, your rewards will far outweigh the troubles you went through. You have probably made the most common mistake, and did not allow enough time. All of us have done the same thing, and if any one denies it, shame on them, /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim

I purchased a metal pan that is used under a hot water heater to protect my deck. This catches ash, drippings and protects the tile. I would think this would protect a wood deck also.

Overnighters are the only way to go with brisket, butts and shoulders. Ryan and I have two mobiles, kettles, little chiefs and now have three WSM's for overnighters. mmmmmmmmmmm maybe a FE100 is in our future? Those d**n pelletheads did pretty good last weekend in Portland. Overnight cooks with 8 briskets or a dozen butts, hummm, tempting.

For the wood deck you can place square landscape stepping stones and on top of that an aluminum pan and that should be ok....but it is best to place it on ground...you can make a little smoking patio...

PrestonD

I'll second Stogie's suggestion about foiling and towel wrapping your meats and storing them in an empty cooler.

I do this with briskets too.

In fact, I build time into my cooks to allow them to sit in the cooler for AT LEAST an hour after the cook before I pull or slice.

Your meat not only stays hot, but wrapped in the foil and the blankets all cozy like makes them real juicy as they steam up in there.

It's a step I always build in to my cooks.

In fact, I aim for having my meats out of the cooker 3 hours before I tell people to show up.

That way, when the cook goes longer than expected, which somehow, it ALWAYS does, you have plenty of leeway to let it sit and rest.

HJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back