boneless roadside chicken?

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
We plan on having some friends over for dinner supper Saturday. The menu will consist of pulled pork, corn on the cob, and roadside chicken. My question is this..my wife bought boneless chicken breasts. Has anyone ever used boneless chicken for this? Also, at what temp do you guys usually cook the chicken at? I thought about cooking it on the top racks of my WSM, but don't know how long to expect it to take. (Using the gasser, or my charcoal is not a problem as I will be using the charcoal grill to cook some wings to get things started.)
Thanks for any help or advice,
Tim

I have done RSC about 15 - 20 times but always with drummies or whole legs, usually at the beginning I am around 350-400 degrees but near the end the temps are lower on my Performer. I never have enough room for a cool zone so Trying to use more than a single layer of coals makes it harder to keep the chicken from being charred. You want to find that happy medium where you have enough heat but still build layers of flavor. Another factor in the temps drop is when you baste the excess drips on your coals. Sorry I can't help on the boneless part of your question.

Eric

Tim,

I've done RSC with boneless skinless. Just cook the BS breasts like you normally would, but maybe marinade in the RSC stuff longer. Just cook them indirect until done with a sear for looks.

For the boneless RSC, I highly recommend chunking up the chicken and doing it on skewers. Make it more of a bite-size RSC. You'll get great flavor still, but also a little more "bark" if you skewer them. Without the skin, the Roadside loses a litle of it's allure, in my opinion, but you can restore that with bite size pieces and a lot of basting.

never done the chunks (but that sounds like a brilliant plan) but i agree with jon above to let them marinate longer and indirect; that i've done a bunch of times

Done it on skewers many times and works like a champ. Be sure to marinate them in cubes so they take on flavour. Couse on the grill they will be done in 20 min. Baste often. Keep the temp low and cook direct.

I've done two rack loads of boneless thighs RSC style on the WSM. Several times now. Awesome. A little easier to do one rack at a time perhaps.

Full/mounded ring of lump, door off, pan out, use the lid to choke off flames.

Racks are up real high above the fire so WSM is acting like a Carolina or Big Drum Smoker. Lots of natural smoke from the burning fat dripping without worry about burning anything. Use the lid if the flame start shooting too high.

Pulling and rolling the thighs in the sauce and back on the rack.

Have a large area aside and good gloves to pull off a rack set aside, cover back on. Dip, back on the grate, grate back in the WSM. As you do pull the bottom out and cycle. etc.

I've done it with two racks just lifting off the top rack, setting aside brush the bottom rack, top rack back on, brush, keep cycling.

On the thighs I did the RSC marinade overnight (no oil for the mix used for marinade) and pinned the skin with snapped tooth picks. For the marinade I also dumped in lots of lime and lemon rind.

Rave reviews. People keep asking me for the recipe.

Back