Boneless rib eye/prime rib cooking time

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Does anyone have a recommendation for the approximate cooking time for a rib eye prime rib roast. It's five lbs and I'd like to get a medium on the outside portions and medium-rare in the center.

Wayne Morrison

Roughly 70-100 minutes including sear time, depending on cook temps. If you want a range of doneness you'll want to cook at higher temps, not low/slow.

Enjoy it Wayne, and have a great holiday.

Thanks Kevin. By sear time, do you mean by cooking it in the bullet to achieve searing or is it practical to take the finished meat and sear it under a broiler?

Wayne

He's most likely referring to searing under a broiler, on the gas grill, or on the WSM with a grate positioned just over the charcoal. I prefer the gasser for this step.

Precisely. I was including the time it takes to sear either by starting or finishing the cook at very high heat (the searing stage; if I do it this way I do the former), or for a lower heat cook searing directly on a gasser or over coals (I do the latter as I do not own a gasser) at the start or finish of the cook (I do it at finish).

Back