boneless pork shoulder or bone in?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Costco only seems to have the boneless pork shoulders and I was wondering if the bone in makes a difference?

Anyone know? Thanks

Hi Mike,

Did you say boness shoulder (as in picnic)? Did you mean boneless butt?

Not much difference in terms of cooking time (per weight). End product is the same. You might have some more work tying boneless up.

Try to avoid getting lots of rub inside the folds. My personal preference. I don't like the grey mushy rub inside when it is done

I use bones to make great split pea soup with.

Why do boneless?? (Especially if they cost more).

Wow Shawn, I have never had grey mushy anything with my shoulders and butts. Plus I coat every part of them as possible, very heavily too. Maybe the difference is I use mustard slather before adding rub. ? I dunno...
DP

Dale, there are some of portions of the butt that seem to have sort of a gray mushy consistency. If you mix well with the bark and other parts of the butt/shoulder you can't tell the difference.

My first boneless butts were hacked up pretty good. I unravelled them all then applied a heavy coating of rub to the inside, then rolled them up and tied.

After cooking I thought the rub inside was nasty, grey and sludgy. I wasn't really speaking about the meat itself.

Perhaps that result is specific to the Mr.Brown rub I used.

Asking because the local spendy store has the boston butts (bone in), or I can goto costco and get the boneless (advertised as boneless pork shoulder).

not sure if it makes a difference, but its cool sliding a bone out afterwards.

Mike,
Go with the bone in butts! I have done both and they both turn out exactly the same. The only draw back to the boneless is you will need to tie them up to hold the meat together. And like Shawn said, sometime you get on that is hacked up by the butcher but you really don't know how bad until you get it home and unwrapped. Then you have a mess to try to tie up. Bone in is the way to go, less hassle.

I'll bet Costco also has the bone in butts. At my store they are haveing a sale on butts and they were all boneless, and that is all I ever saw there. Since it was a real good price I asked if they had any bone in butts and yup. The guy came out with a double vac packed package just like at Sams and asked me witch one I wanted. I'll take both, thanks
icon_smile.gif

"spendy"? I get my bone-in butts for $0.99/lb at Peoria Packing here in the great city of Chicago (and home to awful sports teams). A 10 lb butt with 2 not very heavy bones is, IMO, a great deal at 10 bucks. And there's no membership fee either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back