Boneless Pork Loin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
Wife wants to try a boneless pork loin on the WSM.

Can anyone advise us how to cook it, or will it be just too dry without the bone?

I think she is picturing the outcome to be something like what you would get boneless smoked porkchops from.

Any advice would be appreciated--yall haven't steered us wrong yet!!

Thanks in advance. Tom

Packaged boneless pork loins, like the ones from Hormel, are enhanced (brined) to preserve moisture in an otherwise pretty lean cut of meat. That's why they sometimes taste a little hammy. You could try something similar if yours is fresh pork and it's not to thick a piece, or you could try smoke roasting at a higher temp in order to finish it sooner and avoid drying it out. If there's not much of a fat cap, you could lay strips of bacon on top. A meat thermometer would be a must to make sure not to take it too high-- about 145-150* internal should be about right.

Tom I'm in the same boat and would really like to try this too. I posted about it, and searched, and from everything I gathered, I think I'm going to brine it, just to be safe (lots of debate in the threads on this), pork brine and cook it without water in the pan, closer to 300 degrees. Hadn't thought about purchasing an enhanced one, rather than brining. Not going to get a chance to try it for a while. Be interested to hear what you do and how it turns out.

I have cooked a couple of pork loins. The first one was a 5 lb. loin injected with italian dressing then let it marinate overnight in a ziplock bag of dressing. I cooked it at around 230 with water pan to a internal temp of 156. And I will say it was great. Several family members remarked it was the best pork loin they had ever eaten. The only thing different I would do is to put it in the oven later on to brown it up some. I also did a brined loin and I did not care for it as much. But I am doing the italian loin this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back