Boneless pork loin - smoker or grill?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I want to cook a 4-5 lb. boneless pork loin. I have a Weber kettle charcoal grill, but I've also recently bought a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I've tried cooking pork loins on my Weber charcoal kettle grill using the indirect method. I haven't found much information about cooking them on the smoker. Has anyone had good luck with smoking a boneless 4-5 pound pork loin, or should I stay with the indirect method and the charcoal grill? Any special tips for cooking the loin on the smoker?

You could use either, but I did mine on the kettle. It was done really fast too. Make sure you do it indirect heat. You can add some smoke wood to the charcoal, which is what I did and had a nice light smoke ring.

If you use the smoker you will be "opening it up" for maximum heat. No sense in going low and slow as the cut is lean to begin with. No water in pan, just foil, all vents open full. Hot fire.

Now for spice, I used a salt/sugar/spice combo which I got from a book somewhere and modified it slightly to my taste. I rubbed it down with worcsteshire first then applied the rub. The bark was marvelous. Took it to about 160 internal.

I had compliments on mine doing it this way. Hope you have good luck too.

AR

My only tip is dont cook it any higher than 150 degrees internal. Your looking for a nice blush color. Smoker or grill will both work well. A WSM at about 275 -300 would give good smoke flavor and not let it dry out. Also, post # 1 I see, Welcome to TVWB! Enjoy your stay

Chris K is right. If you cook it low and slow, plan on the internal temperature to rise about 4 or 5 degrees after you wrap it and put it into a warmed cooler. Rosy pink in the center is the way to go.

Try a search for "MOJO CRIOLLO" and you'll find some more information on a good Cuban-style marinade/brine for pork loin.

If you don't marinate, be sure to brine a pork loin to keep it moist and flavorful.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Has anyone had good luck with smoking a boneless 4-5 pound pork loin, or should I stay with the indirect method and the charcoal grill? Any special tips for cooking the loin on the smoker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, David

I've done many pork loins on the WSM. I usually get a good hot bed of coals going and cook on the top grill with no water pan. One could use a dry pan if a heat deflector is desired. I usually pull them off at about 140-145. They will get some more temp rise as they rest, and this results in a slightly pink, moist, tender loin. If desired, they can be seared on a grill on top of the fire ring before moving to the top grill; that's how I've been doing them lately.

Happy Q'in
Jim

It has been nearly two years since I've been on the board. Couldn't find my password, school, another baby, converting the masses (Well my neighbor at least) tho the joys of smoked BBQ. I even did a marketing plan/project on the WSM for my MBA. Served smoked chicken thighs to the whole class while we gave our final presentation. Need I say that we got an A? I think I converted the professor, as he started asking me about where he could get a smoker.

Anyway, as to your question, I think that the pork loin is very good on the grill using indirect heat. I also agree with the above post on the temperature; it is easy to end up with a very dry tenderloin, especially if you are paranoid about cooking pork all the way through. Regards, and its good to be back!

DWL

Back