Boneless beef chuck country style ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
A few weeks a go I picked up a cryo pack of "Boneless beef chuck country style ribs". They were kind of cheap and looked like they had potential. I cooked them today.

I've been trying slathering stuff with mustard pre-rub, so I started with that. Then I applied a good dusting of "Yum Yum Steak Seasoning". Fired up this morning about using Minion with oak and hickory for smoke, and put the meat on about 9AM. I wasn't sure what to expect so I figured about 6-8 hours for the 5lbs - which by the way was cut into four hunks in the package. If it was one big hunk, maybe it would have been longer.

By 3-4 had some good bark going on. I had a taste for something kind of sweet as a sauce or glaze. Searched around and noticed we hade som Coca-Cola on hand, so I improvised a glaze with Coke, worcestershire, a little ketchup, onion powder, a touch of cumin and coriander. Basted the hunks every 15 minutes, turning each time for another hour.

Result: Pretty darn good and my wife liked it. Some of the meat pulled apart almost like well done brisket, some was better sliced into chunks. Nice smoke ring, tender and moist. The ends and edges were almost like 'burnt ends'. I could have taken it off a little earlier, but definitly no later - it would have been too dry. And the glaze did give a sweet element to the whole thing. It wasn't brisket, but it really wasn't too terribly far off - and almost half the price.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back