bone in chicken breasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
I read the boneless recipe and will use it as a guideline..these are bone in, skin on chicken breasts.

can these be cooked without the skin and has anyone tried this with good results? thanks.

Hay David,
I alway's grill my chicken brests over direct heat and alway's with the skin on. Besides the skin being delicious and crispy. It also protects the meat and adds moisture. I would imagine grilling without the skin would make for a tough/dry piece of chicken. Just my 2 centavos. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If you removed the skin, you would want to take definite measures to keep them moist, such as the brining in the boneless recipe.

I did two whole butterflied chickens this weekend. On one I left the skin on and the other I removed the skin (my wife can't eat the skin because of her weight-loss surgery). I injected both with apple juice about 3 hours before cooking and covered the skinless chicken with Saran Wrap while the chicken with the skin sat uncovered in the fridge.

I cooked the chickens at high temp (311-341) for 1-1/2 hrs to a temp of 160 in the breast.

Now, I have not tried the skinless version but my wife absolultely loved it. I ate the unskinned chicken and the only complaint I had was that the breast meat was a little dry...I'll inject more apple juice next time.

So, my point is that I agree with Doug...either brine or inject. If you inject, I put a full syringe (2oz) in each part of the chicken and I would put about three syringes in the breast.

I've also read a thread where someone marinated the chicken for about 4 hrs in Italian dressing AND injected with apple juice. It made for some very juicy chicken.
--------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I also did 2 butterflied chickens last week. I brined both and cooked them at 350 for about an hour and a half.

The meat of both was good, but the skin on the bottom chicken was rubbery and nasty probably because the top chicken kept dripping on it.

Moral, don't let anything drip on your chicken if you want crispy skin. Or perhapse cook the bottom chicken skin side down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clay J:
[qb] I also did 2 butterflied chickens last week. I brined both and cooked them at 350 for about an hour and a half. The meat of both was good, but the skin on the bottom chicken was rubbery and nasty probably because the top chicken kept dripping on it. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you have water in the pan or leave it dry? Could have been a factor-- steamed chicken skin.

Had to be the drip then.

I did a 5 pounder yesterday on the Chick Can Rack I got at Lowe's Saturday, on the top grate next to a brisket-- it was too tall for the bottom. It finished at 3.5 hours at 240-250*. I ended up holding it foiled in the ice chest an hour until dinner, and it was really moist and flavorful. I personally don't eat the skin much anyway.

I cook skin-on bone-in chicken breasts on a regular basis. I usually cook them on a kettle using the indirect kettle method. Cooked over a pan of water with the coals on one side. and a pan of water on top of the grate above the coals for steam. I usually cook 4 to 6 breasts. It usually takes about an hour or so to cook. It is the juicyest way too cook chicken breasts. It will squirt you in the eye when you put a fork in the chicken.
Marinade the way you like.

Also, unless you are cooking a lot of breasts, the WSM is going to use a lot more fuel than a kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back