Bob Gibson Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Pidgeon

TVWBB Member
Someone from Alabama brought me up some of this white sauce last week and we tried it on some smoked chicken yesterday. It took a little getting use to-now it is habit forming.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Pidgeon:
Someone from Alabama brought me up some of this white sauce last week and we tried it on some smoked chicken yesterday. It took a little getting use to-now it is habit forming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How to make it yourself.

Mayonaisse? Yikes.

Speaking of which, I have my TIVO! set up to capture bbq shows (there are a few good ones and some awful ones) and on one of them this woman from the South is showing how to do pulled pork.

First, she visits her neighbor who has a big smoker and is doing it up right. After about 30 seconds of that, they're in her kitchen and she's showing how to do it in a kitchen oven! I'm thinking, "whoa, let's go back to the smoker guy!"

Anywho, at the end, she takes this pulled pork (I'm being generous in calling it that), two pieces of WHEAT bread -- wheat?! -- and spreads mayonaisse real thick over both pieces.

Wheat bread, an oven, mayo, and no fiery vinegar, mustard, or smoke anywhere in sight! Maybe these southerners need this New Jersey boy (now Mass) to come down and show 'em how to do it. (Just kidding) Anyway, it gave me nightmares.

Best,

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
Mayonaisse? Yikes.

Speaking of which, I have my TIVO! set up to capture bbq shows (there are a few good ones and some awful ones) and on one of them this woman from the South is showing how to do pulled pork.

First, she visits her neighbor who has a big smoker and is doing it up right. After about 30 seconds of that, they're in her kitchen and she's showing how to do it in a kitchen oven! I'm thinking, "whoa, let's go back to the smoker guy!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this who you are talking about?

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27428,00.html

Mike

I love good ol' Paula from Savannah, but her food is silly for the most part. Tho the other day she made....pepper jelly!

Is that the same as "paper jelly" ... it disappeared, and I really wanted some.
icon_wink.gif

I like watching Paula, it's a fun time. I don't think I will be making her "Barbecue" though.

Her meatloaf recipe from her "Lady and Sons" cookbook is great. She also has the best Banana Pudding recipe (even though it uses boxed pudding mix). It uses Chessmen cookies instead of vanilla wafers and has cream cheese in it. Even though "grand mother" said no self respecting southern lady would ever use a box pudding, this stuff is good!

Yep, Mike, it was Paula from Savannah for sure. I'm sure she's a sweet gal, and she's original for sure!

(Me, I just can't stand mayonaisse, and I thought I had reached a mayo-free zone when I found bbq, but I guess I was wrong.
icon_wink.gif

As far as I am concerned the only thing I use mayo for is Potato salad and even then I use more mustard than mayo.

I've never heard so many people that didn't like mayo.

Now I haven't ever had a mayo based sauce on my BBQ sandwiches, but after reading some I'll probably give it a try. I love to make sandwiches with leftover pork roast, and do give them a good slathering of mayo. Then go heavy on the fresh grind pepper, and some hot sauce. The recipes for these "white" sauces seem to be very similar to what I already know I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back