Blower not recognized with extension

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have a problem when using an extension cable on their stoker fan? I have a 15 cable that works fine for the probes, but as soon as I plug it into the blower its no longer recognized. Is it because its over 10 feet?

Yes. Do a search and you see that extending that line due to much higher power requirement is more tricky. Did you use a pre-made cable? If so, those are designed for low-level signals and not to drive a fan.

Yep its a premade cable. Should I cut it down to 8 or so feet and solder a new connection on?

Thanks for the help

If you know how to solder, then I would make all new cable from thicker wire. It is hard to say what length would work with the cable you are using. If you want to try, then make it the minimum you need.

Thats kind of the issue, I couldn't find thick wire anywhere so I bought the extension cable like I read others were using. Thoughts on where to get think wire to make it?

The answer is a bit tricky as this cable needs to both communicate data and power. For data, you need shielding. For power, you need thick wire. This combination is not easy to find at the local store.

Here is an example of cable that should work: http://www.amazon.com/Belden-8...d=1289166036&sr=8-16

As you see it is 18 gauge, not typical 24 that audio interconnect cable is made out of.

I use a 20' cable on my 5 cfm fan all the time with no problems. The cable is just whatever Radio Shack sells.

Are you using a larger fan?

Back