Black Top Hat & Collar

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Here's a great modification for that 18 or 22 Weber kettle. this is my favorite set up and I use it more than any of my other cookers. It's also the most versatile for my cooking needs. If you own a WSM either size then you already have the "Top Hat". Next get a kettle 18 or 22 that would fit the WSM. Use a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the kettle lid about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom. Just cut it as straight as you can. I marked mine with a chalk line. After the cut use a grinder to smooth the edge. By the way I also drilled a small hole in the collar for the thermometer wire. I didn't need to drill one in the kettle itself, just in the collar. You can also use an upper rack for two tiered cooking or a drip pan. Also in case you didn't know the WSM bottom is the same as the kettle bottom. So if you don't own a WSM you can just use another kettle bottom and get more air flow from the extra vents. Anyway, set the collar into the kettle and put the Hat on. Now you can stand a turkey or a ham in it. I believe it uses less charcoal than my WSM because the charcoal is closer now. I want to cook my Thanksgiving turkey in it and my Christmas ham as well this year. I think you are gonna become attached to it just like I did.

icon_eek.gif
It looks pretty good !!!

Back