Black SSP - Missing hose

JoeyS

TVWBB Fan
I was able to pick up a black SSP not too far away and everything seems to be in pretty good shape for its age. Kettle is in great shape with little rust on the exposed edges. However, the burner tube and attachment is there, the rest of the hose and regulator are missing. Weber website seems to charge ~$140 for it.

The SSP uses the 5lb tanks but contemplating if I should convert it to the 1lb disposables and get the Q adaptor that allows 20lb (already have a few due to gasser). Been lurking other threads on SSP conversions/mods and wondering if anyone can provide additional insight or advice on this. Hoping I could go to HomeDepot or so and have his done much cheaper. Never done anything like this so just wanted to cautious because you know... its propane.

One of the post on mods mentions about someone doing a conversion to the 1lb where they twist the bottle on sideways so it stays hidden from sight? I couldn't find that thread. If anyone knows which one and can direct me that would be awesome. Cheers.

Joey, did you grab the one that was listed on CL in Richmond? I've got a hose/reg from an SSP.....want it?

R

Joey, did you grab the one that was listed on CL in Richmond? I've got a hose/reg from an SSP.....want it?

R
I saw that soon as I got home from picking mine up. I got mine from Cupertino for $45. DM you on the hose.

Did you do any conversion/mod to your SSP?

Last edited:
Interestingly I'm trying to rehab an old 2001 SSP. The hose has a bad kink in it and the hose is weak at the bend. If I want to keep the 5lbs tank, is the only option to bite the bullet on the $140 replacement from weber?

hose.jpg

Update: Success! Local hydraulic shop was able to replace the hose. They had to use some different fittings to get it to attached to the regulator and the brass fitting that goes into the ignitor. Just reconnected it and it worked great. Total cost was $50, 1/3 of what Weber wanted for the replacement. Thanks for the tip!
new hose.jpg

I looked up the SSP schematics and based on it, seems the regulator hose just has a orifice at the end and goes straight into a hollow burner tube.

1621384469995.png

Nothing on the burner end side and the orifice just stays in the tube with a retaining clip. Is that all?

Plan to buy this something like this

www.homedepot.com

Weber QCC1 Rubber Hose and Regulator Kit-7502 - The Home Depot

Use this QCC1 21 in. Rubber Hose and Regulator Kit to help extend the life of your gas grill. Rubber hose material. The kit fits Genesis Silver C, Genesis Gold, Genesis Platinum B/C and Summit Silver/Gold/Platinum
www.homedepot.com

But if the end looks like this

1621384701746.png

think I need the end brass orifice to control the output of propane to a concentrated stream for burn?

1621384640721.png

Hoping its simple like I'm thinking but I've never done anything like this. Just making sure I am not missing anything and blow myself up haha.

Rich G was able to provide a picture of his SSP setup and seems the hose goes into an elbow (Elbow orifice?) that is held by the retaining clip some how. If anyone has any experience with this and knows the parts, much appreciated.

1621388169122.png

Also, looking at different videos on regulator kit replacement, seems the end part is not included? Perhaps homedepot has universal parts for this?

The elbow and orifice are actually separate pieces, but if you want to keep the char bin, then you’re turning 90° right after the orifice, regardless. In theory you can find a single fitting that will go directly from 1/8” NPT (the thread that screws into the elbow) to 3/8” flare (the fitting on the end of the hose that Joey showed above). In reality, you’ll probably need an intermediate piece that will go from 1/4” to 1/8” NPT, since the one-piece fitting is hard to find, and often expensive even if you can.

The elbow and orifice are actually separate pieces, but if you want to keep the char bin, then you’re turning 90° right after the orifice, regardless. In theory you can find a single fitting that will go directly from 1/8” NPT (the thread that screws into the elbow) to 3/8” flare (the fitting on the end of the hose that Joey showed above). In reality, you’ll probably need an intermediate piece that will go from 1/4” to 1/8” NPT, since the one-piece fitting is hard to find, and often expensive even if you can.
Appreciate the response Lee. Had some life stuff going on was unable to work on the grill. Will have to start working on it again. Think you're right... may have to reach back out to Rich G on his offer and see if I can get the 5lb tank recertified for usage. Those regulator replacement on weber are pricey...

Yeah, regardless of whether you get old parts or go third-party, either option is a lot cheaper than the Weber replacement hose.

If you end up going with a replacement propane bottle, the collar style you get will dictate the geometry of your regulator and hose, unless you don’t mind performing surgery on your bottle. This may sound cryptic, but you’ll understand what I mean if it comes to be an issue for you. No matter how you proceed, we’ll be here to answer any questions.

The brass fitting that connects the hose to the burner tube is very similar across all Performer grills. It's not unique to the SSP. If you happen to find a deal on a newer gen Performer, you could salvage the hose from it.

The brass fitting that connects the hose to the burner tube is very similar across all Performer grills. It's not unique to the SSP. If you happen to find a deal on a newer gen Performer, you could salvage the hose from it.
If I find a good deal, that’s the plan. I saw you did some SSP restore yourself. Does the new ash cleaning system work with the older kettle? I assume not due to the bracket holding the old style ash catcher.

If I find a good deal, that’s the plan. I saw you did some SSP restore yourself. Does the new ash cleaning system work with the older kettle? I assume not due to the bracket holding the old style ash catcher.
You can make it work. Getting the old one off is a bit of a pain

You can make it work. Getting the old one off is a bit of a pain
yeah the handle bar was rusted in place and couldn't remove it. Had to drill it out. So the newer "H" cleaner fits with the older ash catcher bracket? If it does, that would be great since the ash catcher it self is not in bad shape and prefer not to get the new one that requires a tad mod to hold it in.

Also been reading up on the 22" SS grills you've posted prior. What would be the advantage of half door swing vs the two side swings? Seems KillaGrilla is the way to go.

Back