Black Cherry

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I've trolled the forums and found a few instances of people using black cherry. I have black cherry in abundance along with some oak, black walnut, and maple. I have already read the warning on the black walnut, but black cherry seems less reviewed. I was wondering if you all had some tips how I might use my wooded blessing to its full potential. I'm willing to experiment, but was hoping to have some wisdom before I started mixing and matching.

Thanks,
Josh

The cherry I use is either Bing or Lambert, never figured out which. It has a very dark purple fruit. Don't know how that compares to Black Cherry, but it has always worked great for me.

I use wild black cherry in combination with apple for ribs with very good results. Have never used orchard cherry so I can't compare the two.

They're virtually the same. Many orchard cherries are of the sour variety (the best for pies and jams) which is what black cherries are. Wonderful to smoke with.

The wood one often wants to avoid is from ornamental cherries. Not that it is always lousy but, depending on variety, it can be, and there are dozens of ornamental varieties.

Excellent! Unless I'm really tasting for hickory I'm set. Any tips on what combination of black cherry, oak, maple, and black walnut would turn out best for poultry, pork, and beef? Granted I will experiment, but i'm hoping to make my first experiement a great thing by using your tips!

Thanks,
Josh

Back