Black Box; Ad-hoc network

D Casten

TVWBB Member
Anyone have suggestions or steps for conecting stoker wifi directly to a computer with wifi capabilities?

I can contect the stoker on my home network with a router. But Im having trouble connecting the stoker wifi (black box) to a wifi enabled computer in my comp trailer. I would like to connect the two without a router.

If I am understanding you, I do not think that is possible. You are essentially asking if you can have a wifi crossover cable.

In my estimation , the closest you could get is configuring your laptop as a router, and adding a piece of hardware to it to serve as a bridge.

Let me think some more. I may try this tomorrow.

First it is a desktop computer with wifi capabilities that I plug an air card into for internet access.

I was told that I just need to enable "internet sharing" and that my only problem would be to configure the stoker. When it didnt work and talking with other friends they said "just create an ad-hoc network" ... its easy!

So I can create the ad-hoc network on the computer but I cant get the stoker setup.

(Also I am not as interested in the internet access just want the stoker to show inside the trailer.)

Thx for the help

I think what you want is a private subnet. Hook a cable between your pc and stoker. The pc may have a default IP addr of 192.168.1.1, so you need to give the stoker an address like 192.168.1.2, use a net mask of 255.255.255.0.

I hope this helps! :)

sorry, lost connection for a while.

you should see two interfaces listed after running that command. One should be the wireless connection, the other the ethernet port connection

Thx I will give that a try tonight.

So under this set up I dont need to conect the two with an eithernet cord? Just manually set the ip's to a different last number (last three numbers) and set both net masks to the same? Correct?

With this method you do need to connect your pc with the stoker by cable. Both ends need IP addresses or the stoker web page won't work.

The wireless will be your internet connection.

I think the problem with an ad-hoc network here is that the stoker won't work in that mode, but I would suggest contacting Rock's to be sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Casten:
Thx I will give that a try tonight.

So under this set up I dont need to conect the two with an eithernet cord? Just manually set the ip's to a different last number (last three numbers) and set both net masks to the same? Correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It specifically needs to be a crossover Ethernet cable. A regular Ethernet cable that you use to connect to the router won't work. In a crossover cable the TX and rx wires are swapped in one of the connectors. It's usually labelled as such.

Ok great success.
Plugged eithernet cord directly between computer and blackbox. Manually set ip and Sub net on blackbox and I now can see the stoker page and wifi.html
I made changes on wifi.html to match ad-hoc I had set up. As stated above it would not conect on wireless.
What's my next step?

Back