Bittersweet brisket cook

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Cooked brisket this weekend w/ bittersweet results. When I came to the table, my 9 year old daughter was gently tugging at a slice, examining it, tasting it when she looks at me with a furrowed brow and all the seriousness of a judge and says..."not tender enough, it doesn't pull apart right, a little chewy, but it tastes really good. Keep practicing."

"Bitter" - having to take such critisism from a 9 year old.
icon_redface.gif

"Sweet" - Having a 9 year old that can offer such critisism.
icon_biggrin.gif

She was 100% correct, and I knew it. Had an interesting cook. Was experimenting w/ lump and it was working great. Things were so good at 8am, meat temp at 170, dome temp at 240. Went to church, figuring it would be fine. Ended up not getting back to the cooker until 11a, fire had gone out, and meat temp was at 150. I foiled that big guy up, restoked the fire and basically "oven finished" at about 300 in the cooker. Flavor was OK, but the texture/tenderness just wasn't there. I pulled it at about 185 or so and I guess it could have gone longer.

I did like the way the lump behaved, and will be doing that again. Nothing to blame this time around but a cook that got a little cocky.

Next time try pulling it at 190°, and resting in foil in a dry cooler for an hour or two.

Your problem, on this cook, was probably that just as you were getting into the connective tissue breakdown stage, the fire went out, and then you switched to a high-temp cook to finish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Next time try pulling it at 190°, and resting in foil in a dry cooler for an hour or two.

Your problem, on this cook, was probably that just as you were getting into the connective tissue breakdown stage, the fire went out, and then you switched to a high-temp cook to finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I did my first brisket this weekend and I cooked it to 192. It had a beautiful smokering, I could slice it thick or thin, and my wife who doesnt do beef simply devoured it! I cant wait to do the next one.

Tony

I'm probably being a little harsh on myself. The flavor was great and every one who has sampled it has agreed. I'm still seeking that perfect brisket. Just when I thought I had my techique down, I get thrown a curve ball like the fire going out (my fault I know). Since this was a competition practice run, my standards were pretty high. Was doing some final tweeking of the flavor profile and wanted to try a lump cook again.

I really didn't know how to handle the reheat portion of the cook. You're not supposed to have to take it through 150-170 twice in one cook. Thought the foil would keep it somewhat juicy (that did work). Having to foil at that time also did bad things to the bark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:
I'm probably being a little harsh on myself. The flavor was great and every one who has sampled it has agreed. I'm still seeking that perfect brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing but love for you on this point Joe! I think high self-expectations produce the best quality - in anything! I am real hard on my self, but that is because I want the best out of myself. Here is what I always remind my church members of: "You cant get any oil until after the olive has been crushed!"

Keep on doing what'cha doing and show us some pics of those awards you are going to win!
icon_smile.gif

Tony

Back