Bison or Beef Steak Rub

I get them at TJ's. They're around $4, iirc, for a decently sized package. They're pricey because it takes a lot of fresh to make a little dried. Asian markets are a good alternative.

That would be trader joe's correct?

Jane, not too many Italian markets in my neck of the woods unfortunately

I tried it, and it was wonderful! Actually I tried it twice, and the first time, I had my timing wrong so my lump was barely going on a reverse sear (took longer in the oven then I expected) so it was still hot, but not my usual scorching hot. It seared nicely, but I went a tiny bit longer than my usual two minutes on each side. The depth of flavor was wonderful, with what I think is the celery seed shining through with an aftertaste.

The next time, I seared it over high heat, and while still good, I noticed that the depth wasn't as pronounced. Is it because I acclimated? High heat blurred some of the flavors? I did not burn the steak, but there was a tiny bit more charring, but nothing out of the ordinary and definitely not at the burn stage. And the funny thing? I used only a little rub the first time, and a lot more the second.

I'm going to try for a lower heat sear again and see if that makes a difference.

Just want to add my kudos to this rub.

I have a favorite porcini rub of my own I had been using.

Especially like the combination here. Did up a nice 2 inch porterhouse tonight quite nicely.

I think this one will be replacing mine
icon_smile.gif

Didn't even bother with a reverse sear. Cranked up a load of lump in the Performer and it hit about 700 degrees fully open vents.

15 minutes total off the coals with a flip in the middle and it was done perfectly with a nice bit of char/grill marks. A 10 minute rest was all it needed. Finished out at medium rare.

Split it with my favorite person.

Tastey!

Back