Birthday Present and Some Q's

Joe Bernard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long time lurker, finally going to get a smoker! It's my 21st birthday on July 18th, but I convinced my parents to let me order my smoker earlier (next monday, not tomorrow) so I can take advantage of the summer and get in some more practice smoking. This is going to be the best birthday yet!

Anyways, I plan on getting the WSM 18.5, the Weber Rapidfire Chimney starter, a wireless thermometer, and a metal plate to set underneath the smoker so stuff falling out the bottom doesn't mess up whatever surface the smoker is on. I do have some questions:

1. Should I order it online from Amazon.com or go pick it up at a nearby store? Would the quality, service from Weber, etc differ from either place?

2. I've searched around and have read about the debate between lump vs. charcoal. Lump burns hotter but gives a cleaner burn, briquettes burn longer but have chemicals and sometimes give an off taste to the meat. I also read that it depends on the type of smoker as to which type you should use. Any preferences? Lump seems harder to pack in tighter, but the chemicals in briquettes have me worried a little...

3. I'm looking into getting a reliable wireless thermometer. I've looked around and so far it's between the NuTemp thermometer, specifically NU-751, and the Maverick ET901 Redi-Check Voice alert. However, concerning the maverick, some have complained about its poor range, whereas others say it has worked like a charm. Advice?

4. I don't have a weedburner, but would like to eventually get one to cut down on the start-up time. How would I use the minion method if I am just blasting the charcoal with fire and not dumping a can of hot coals in the middle?

5. To get seasoned chucks of wood, such as oak or hickory, would a store like Home Depot have them or would I have to order it online?

Sorry if I have missed the answers to these questions, I've spent way to much time on here just looking at all of the good BBQ you guys have been cooking, and not enough time on how you've done it

On a side note: I'm excited to finally start smoking and fuel the addiction I've had ever since I tried BBQ two years ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Bernard:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long time lurker, finally going to get a smoker! It's my 21st birthday on July 18th, but I convinced my parents to let me order my smoker earlier (next monday, not tomorrow) so I can take advantage of the summer and get in some more practice smoking. This is going to be the best birthday yet!

Anyways, I plan on getting the WSM 18.5, the Weber Rapidfire Chimney starter, a wireless thermometer, and a metal plate to set underneath the smoker so stuff falling out the bottom doesn't mess up whatever surface the smoker is on. I do have some questions:

1. Should I order it online from Amazon.com or go pick it up at a nearby store? Would the quality, service from Weber, etc differ from either place?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I ordered it from Amazon to help Chris with this great site. </span> See info here.

2. I've searched around and have read about the debate between lump vs. charcoal. Lump burns hotter but gives a cleaner burn, briquettes burn longer but have chemicals and sometimes give an off taste to the meat. I also read that it depends on the type of smoker as to which type you should use. Any preferences? Lump seems harder to pack in tighter, but the chemicals in briquettes have me worried a little...

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">You will get a lot of different answers for this ? I us both.</span>

3. I'm looking into getting a reliable wireless thermometer. I've looked around and so far it's between the NuTemp thermometer, specifically NU-751, and the Maverick ET901 Redi-Check Voice alert. However, concerning the maverick, some have complained about its poor range, whereas others say it has worked like a charm. Advice?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I believe a lot of us use the Maverick ET-73 with mixed reviews.</span>

4. I don't have a weedburner, but would like to eventually get one to cut down on the start-up time. How would I use the minion method if I am just blasting the charcoal with fire and not dumping a can of hot coals in the middle?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I don't have a weed burner so no help on this one.</span>

5. To get seasoned chucks of wood, such as oak or hickory, would a store like Home Depot have them or would I have to order it online?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">There are many places to get wood chunks, internet, local stores like Home Depot and Ace Hardware has the Weber chunks now.</span>

Sorry if I have missed the answers to these questions, I've spent way to much time on here just looking at all of the good BBQ you guys have been cooking, and not enough time on how you've done it

On a side note: I'm excited to finally start smoking and fuel the addiction I've had ever since I tried BBQ two years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great Birthday present!

Good luck and welcome to the site
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Lump can make for a hotter cook on the grill, but temperature in the WSM is more about how much air you let in. Briquettes are a good idea for starting out with the WSM. They can give more consistent results. If you don't like the additives, there are many natural briquettes available now: Rancher, Stubbs, Kingsford Comp, Wicked Good, etc. All of these are excellent.

I have a NuTemp and like it very much.

The weed burner lets you start a Minion cook without a chimney. The chimney is more versatile, though. Get one.

Home depot near me sells hickory, a great choice to start with.

Start out with the briquettes and then move to lump. I still can't keep lump in mine below 275F and that's with every bottom vent shut and the top one half closed. So, lump works well for higher heat stuff, but if I really need 250F and below I have to go with briquettes.

Congrats Birthday Boy!

1. Order it online from Amazon using the link above. Service from Weber will be golden regardless.

IMO, the only advantage to buying local would be a super deal or the chance to visually inspect it before purchase (if the dealer will open the box).

2. Start will Kingsford briquettes. Briq or Lump, stick with brand names and there will be no worries about 'chemicals'.

3. Range is dependent upon what's between you and the smoker. How many walls between the smoker and the location where you expect the receiver to be?

4. Just do time-task management and incorporate startup time into prep timeline and you won't notice the startup time.

I first setup the WSM and chimney then go inside to start prep work. At some point, I pop out to start the chimney and go back inside to continue prep work. About 15 minutes later, I pop back out to dump chimney coals into WSM then back inside to finish prep work. Smoker's ready when prep's done.

5. HomeDepot, Lowes, even Walmart have chunks. Check Craigslist for local wood dealers.

To your shopping list, add:
- a cinder block to start your chimeny on.
- a small work table like those plastic 4' folders at Costco/Sam's.
- half-size 10"x13" food service alum pans

Since the other guys have given you some great advice I can add 1 thing that might help and save you some money on smoke wood . here in the Detroit metro area there is a LOT on craigslist and decent prices you might wana ck CL in your area befor forking over $$ for the bags .Some guy even has Hickory here and I doubt there a hickory tree left in this state .

welcome and happy birthday many happy smokes
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Matt: good to know, thanks for the tip.

Travis: 1-2 walls max, I don't plan on going to the end of the thermometer's range because I've read that numerous walls shorten the range. I can also start the chimney on the WSM itself, right? I'll get a cinderblock nevertheless, just curious.

Guy: I like where your head is at, saving money is always a good thing.

Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it.

Joe, welcome. I get great range with my Maverick. Thru walls no problem. There is a fix to increase range if necessary. Google it. I use lump and have no real problem keeping temps as low as 200. The key seems to be not to let the temp climb beyond what you want initially. Half the fun is experimenting with your cooker and your recipes.

Enjoy!

Mark

Happy Birthday Joe.

I agree with the earlier comments, but of course have to add my 2 cents.

1) As stated earlier, you won't have to worry about additive if you use quality briquettes. to me, the real advantage with briquettes is their consistency of burn and ability to easily pack tight in the charcoal ring. With briquettes you won't have to worry about getting the ring filled as tightly as possible for long cooks.

2) Lately I have been using a Benzomatic portable torch to light the charcoals in my WSM. It works fast and is far more portable and versatile than a weed burner. Since I have no other need for a weed burner, purchasing one just to light charcoal would have been significant overkill.

Good to know MK, thanks! As much fun as smoking is going to be, I would like to be able to relax somewhere in the house and not have to keep a constant eye on the smoker.

Joe, the Maverik ET-73 has a high & low alarm for smoker temp. Also a high meat temp alarm. If I want to I can go in the house watch tv and be alerted to any major temp problems. The wife hates the alarm tho. I did an all nighter and would leave the alarm in the bedroom while I went to the smoker to fiddle. Of course the only time the alarm goes off is in the middle of the night while I'm outside and wakes her up. Oh I forgot to tell her how to shut it off, so when I come in the alarm is now hiding in the bathroom drawer!
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of course the only time the alarm goes off is in the middle of the night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, it's good to turn off the alarm when checking the WSM/removing the lid. Otherwise the fresh air hits that probe and beep!beep!beep!. God bless our patient wives.

That's a funny story MK. The Maverick sounds like the thermometer to get then, the alarm is very useful, thanks for the heads up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Start out with the briquettes and then move to lump. I still can't keep lump in mine below 275F and that's with every bottom vent shut and the top one half closed. So, lump works well for higher heat stuff, but if I really need 250F and below I have to go with briquettes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started out with lump and i keep my temp at 225 pretty much the whole burn. I keep water in my pan though so that might be the difference. my advice try lump. try briq. try everything. any excuse to smoke up some more meat in the interest of perfecting the craft should be taken. have fun. I wouldn't stress out too much about all the extras right off the bat. learn what you like then build on that.
get a chimney for sure use minion method.
also use paper towel with veggie oil to start it works way better than newspaper.
and i dont like starting it on the WSM because there is always left over ash from burning it. I made the best ribs of my life yesterday and it was from just ad libbed. i dont have a thermo in my meat but i do have one to tell me cook grate but i dont even really need that. don't sweat the small stuff

Frank: Sorry, missed your post. I was actually looking at the Bernzomatic torches too, any model in particular that you would recommend?

Jonny: I'm definitely going to give everything a shot, I just want some direction with regards to my questions. Thanks for the heads up about the ash, I'll make sure to use a cinderblock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Bernard:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stick to quality briquettes like Kingsford, and there's nothing to worry about. See this article elsewhere on this site. There's nothing in there that doesn't serve a purpose. Just fuel sources and nothing else that's toxic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People need to understand that these are FCC Part 15 devices. Their power and antenna gain, and thus their range, is limited by law since they are not the primary users of the spectrum in which they operate. They typically have to operate in a non-interference manner, and must accept any interference from primary users of the spectrum. They're not meant for you to place the transmitter on the smoker and head down the street to the neighbor's house with the receiver and expect it to work. They're intended to get the signal from the patio to inside the house. Manage your expectations, and they will be fine.

That said, after researching what was out there, I got a Maverick ET-73.

Thanks for the advice John, I got Kingsford briquettes at Home Depot yesterday. Regarding the Maverick ET-73, I'm having a hard time finding it on amazon or another site. On Maverick's site it says it is sold out and amazon is acting weird on my computer, it just comes up as the redi-check product and not the ET-73. I've found it on another site, but am hesistant to order from there. Is there another trusted site besides amazon that I could order this from?

Also, I plan on cooking on both grates for my first cook (4 racks of spare ribs), where do you guys put the top grate (both when it has food on it and when it doesn't) when you want to remove food from the bottom grate? I thought about putting it on the path in my backyard that is concrete, but then I read about how starting a chimney starter on concrete causes it to explode, so I don't know if I want to put a hot grate on it.

Also, when doing the Minion Method for lighting the WSM, where do you light the chimney? The bottom part of the WSM is going to be filled with a full ring of charcoal, so do you do it on the middle section of the WSM on the top grate or what? Sorry, complete novice, just don't want to burn the house down, heh.

Back