Biggest Kettle Turkey

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
What is the biggest turkey anyone has ever cooked in the Weber kettle? I've see the You tube vid of a 20 pounder, the one where the lid handle fell off during the cook but I don't know of anything bigger than that although I'm sure some here may have tried bigger.
I've done an 18 and had room to spare. Thinking about going all out over Easter with a bigger one.

I've done a few 22# and one 24# which was a very tight fit, the lid barely cleared over the top.
While its still in the bag you can put in on the grate and check the clearance.
Edit: That was on my 22.5" OTG.

Tim

years ago I did a 23 pounder - tight fit but it came out perfect. Since then I tried to stay under 21 lbs.

Ray

What is the biggest turkey anyone has ever cooked in the Weber kettle? I've see the You tube vid of a 20 pounder, the one where the lid handle fell off during the cook but I don't know of anything bigger than that although I'm sure some here may have tried bigger.
I've done an 18 and had room to spare. Thinking about going all out over Easter with a bigger one.

I believe this is the video you all are talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=mR7vG7Ij4_I

Mike I hear you when you are thinking about using the cooking grate but I got the idea from the Smokenator info that you actually can cook them on the charcoal grate. I've done an 18 that way and had just over 3" of clearance under the lid so I'm curious to know if anyone else has cooked this way. Mine was stuffed and cooked in 5 hours. It was great and everybody wants me to do another one for Easter.

One thing I noticed is it's not just a pound thing more of the shape..
I've done a few of the same weight at different times and one will fit in a pan on a rack and the next one wont, so that got put directly on the grate.
Best way for me is to do a dry run while its still in it's wrapper.
Edit: I see you're using the charcoal grate.. I've never tried that.

Tim

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is it's not just a pound thing more of the shape..
I've done a few of the same weight at different times and one will fit in a pan on a rack and the next one wont, so that got put directly on the grate.
Best way for me is to do a dry run while its still in it's wrapper.
Edit: I see you're using the charcoal grate.. I've never tried that.

Yes body build is important...I think I want one mid 50's with lots of spread but not too much chest!!:)

Last edited:
Somewhere around 21# for me. I like to leave some room between the bird and the lid. Now if you have a ranch kettle you can
fit most any turkey you can find, or maybe put on your Swedish chefs hat and serve Big Bird with some applewood smoked gravy.

I've done a few 22# and one 24# which was a very tight fit, the lid barely cleared over the top.
While its still in the bag you can put in on the grate and check the clearance.
Edit: That was on my 22.5" OTG.

Tim

I'm always amazed at how some of the most obvious things can escape me - Tim that is a great and very practical idea. It is right alongside measuring how much oil you need for your deep-fryer by dunking the bird to be cooked in a pot of water.

Back