Big Z getting wet

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well for the first time since I've had it, I got caught off guard by a sudden rain storm. Had just cleaned out the ash, and started it up and thrown on a couple nice beef back ribs. I could not get the oven cooled down sufficiently in time as I saw this coming and had a alert from NWS. But I got it sufficiently cooled down to at least throw the cover over the pellet hopper and control panel. Since it doesn't have a stack not worried about rain blowing into it. But I just did not want to take the chance I would put the cover on the whole grill with some possible embers in the fire pot. So it got a bath. I am sure it will be fine.

I have an aging Traeger, never been covered just kept under the covered patio. The electronic side is the most protected. I just replaced the temp sensor after about 10 years because it wouldn’t go over 300°. I’m waiting for it to die but it just keeps going. It’s been trouble free. I’m pretty sure your grill will be fine.

@LMichaels
Even though I got a cover when it was new, My Traeger sat out overnight through thunderstorms and heavy snow more often than I care to admit. They're tougher than you think.

@JohnTak Hard to kill an older Traeger. My 2013 'Lil Tex Elite ran until last year on all original parts when I upgraded to a PID controller. Replaced the RTD and hot rod at the same time. The originals were still good, just wanted added features of the PID controller with meat probes, and an external P setting button. It's getting pretty ugly, but no rust and it still does a good job.

Back