BIG Turkey

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
A coworker has asked me to smoke a turkey for him. In this case, he's not the big turkey I'm talking about.

The bird is a 26lb frozen turkey. I noticed in Chris's article on cooking turkey that the largest he knew of being done in a WSM is 22lbs. I assume that was a whole bird.

Although I haven't seen it yet, I imagine I'll have to break it up to do it. I'll keep you posted.

Joel

Joel-- Shawn did one a while back--a 28-pounder--vertically since he couldn't fit it in another way. The thread on that one is here.

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. That info helps.

Kevin - Did you get an email from me re Florida BBQ?

The 26lb turkey is on the WSM. I brought it to work this morning. As it turns out, it fit on the top rack.

I'm glad I saw the messages about that other big bird (thanks Kevin). I've got the door propped open a bit to keep the temps at about 335. Without that, it wants to drop. Hopefully, we're on on track for a late lunch.

Joel

Big turkey was a big success. Put it on at 9:30, temps said it was ready just after 1PM. I was a little surprised it got there that quick, but when it's done, it's done! Took it off to rest 15 - 20 minutes.

Very juicy, just enough smoke and maybe just a little bland but not bad at all.

Joel

Back