Big tank, small hole

GavinH

TVWBB Member
I just swapped out my expired propane tank. The "new" one has a very small hole and I can't mount it on the tank scale properly.

I have resorted to a kiwi tradition of No. 8 wire as an interim step.

Any suggestions ? make a bracket ?

p.s No 8 wire

"
As a consequence of the ubiquitous use of number 8 wire in New Zealand, remote farms often had rolls of number 8 wire on hand, and the wire would often be used inventively and practically to solve mechanical or structural problems other than fencing.[5] Accordingly, the term "number 8 wire" came to represent the ingenuity and resourcefulness of New Zealanders,[6][7] and the phrase "a number 8 wire mentality" evolved to denote an ability to create or repair machinery using whatever scrap materials are available on hand.[8] New Zealand hardware and DIY store franchise Mitre 10 have adopted "Number 8" as their in house brand for generic hardware supplies and tools.[9]

The Waikato Museum runs an art award named after the wire

tank2.jpgtank1.jpg

That is an odd tank. Haven't seen one like that before. But I have seen the folded handles. You could bend the tank hold hook out a little.

Steve, I thought about that, but just be careful. That is going to take some physical persuasion and you don't want to accidentally whack the valve or something like that.

At this stage I'm thinking of a big washer to fit over the bracket and an S shaped hook to go thru the washer and hole in tank

So it was an exchange tank? I guess you could just use it as is and then exchange it for a normal looking tank afterwards? Or maybe you could buy a new one and get it refilled somewhere?

yeah, it was a swap for a full one, so I might get a different one next time..
they usually last me about 6 months so I will just cobble something together till then.

Thanks

Back