Big Ole’ Bird in the 18.5

Matt Galletti

Hi all! Been a minute since I posted, but still VERY much loving my 18.5 WSM. I have been using it a ton but life has gotten in the way of posting here, but find so much value from the forum and the main page.

For Thanksgiving, I am hosting about 15 people, inclusive of us, and I have a 22lb bird I picked up from the grocery store yesterday. I went with the intention of buying two 12 pounders for both levels and my own panicky brain took over because I saw the 22 pounder and said “oh…this will fit!”. Now, I am panicking a bit more!

My plan is to run the smoker hot, in the 325 range with no water in the pan and using the standard method to light (per the Turkey page on Chris’ main page, which is amazingly helpful). I am bribing the day prior and will take it out of the freezer this Friday.

Based on the timetable from the main page, I am expecting about 5-6 hours, pending the smoker holding temp (which I have no doubt it will). Just level with me…am I overthinking this? Will all be fine? Should I donate this bird to a shelter nearby and pick up 2 smaller birds?

I am doing a test run for the overall practice on Sunday, but it is an 11 pounder.

Would love any thoughts from you experts and a happy thanksgiving to you all in advance!

Matt

Chris! Was hoping you would be one of the respondents on this. I am justifying that it will be a little smaller after I take out the middle stuff. Really excited to try this and just need to back into a 4pm serving time.

Back