Big Hen in the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Saunders

TVWBB Member
OK, it's 1:30 and I just put a 5.5 pound roasting hen on the bottom grate. On top of that I put a pork tenderloin.

Started one chimney, spread it into the fire ring and filled up the ring with unlit kingsford.
waited until it was all going and assembled the WSM with a foiled bottom waterpan full of cool water.
Hen is stuffed with onion and rubbed with Tex-joy.

Tenderloin is marinated in lemon garlic stuff.

temp rose to 350 and I coled off all the vents on the bottom. Slowly falling.........

Auburn - Alabama game is almost ready to start.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Mike, most folks seem to prefer the high temp for poultry. The tender should do well also over 300.

3:00.......opened up the bottom vents about 50%.

I'm up to 300 now. I will open them about another 10%. Havent take the top off yet. I'm not going to peek until at least 2 hours.

Thanks for the tip Steve. I did a little reading and I think youre probably right.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4:00 and all is well. tenderloin is at 160 and I will removed it at 170. Havent checked the hen temp yet, but she is on the bottom grate.

Alabama is leading 6-0 at the half - Rrrrrooollllllllll Tide!

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5:00 Hen is on the top grate and up to 165 in the thigh. Hippiechick is putting on the rice and other sides. Probably be eating in 30 minutes.

The WSM rules!

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Mike, it sounds like you've had a great cook.If you like the pork tender and would like a simple but very good glaze, try the Honey Balsamic Glaze in the recipe section.

Thanks for the tip Steve. Yes, we did eat good tonight, and will have some good sandwich material. The hen was excellent. Especially the dark meat.

The tenderloin was a packaged job with the marinade allready sealed in the plastic with it. Kind of a lemon garlic deal.

I bet that glaze is much better. I will try it soon.

Mikeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back