BIG COOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Let the worries begin. I'm in the final stages of planning a bash this weekend. Actually I'm doing a "practice run" for my first competion. Cooking up 2 butts, 2 briskets, about 4 slabs of ribs, and a bunch of chicken thighs. Doing this with turn-in boxes according to the timings prescribed for the competion (noon, 12:30 etc) complete with a panel of judges. I'm also moving my whole operation outside, trying to duplicate competition conditions as much as possible. Testing the moxie of two bullets and an trusty old kettle! I posted earlier that I'm going to do a side by side comparison of previously frozen butt vs fresh, noting any differences.

We've got commitment from at least 50 folks so far. Never quite done a party like this. Strange thing is I'm not worried about the meat, its the little things that are mind numbing...side prep, drinks, desserts (thank goodness my wife is chiming in with lots of help there).

Picking up a mother load of meat this afternoon, setting up on Friday, starting the cook Friday evening. I'm sure it'll be fun, but wow, the pre-party jitters are mounting.
Guess I'll just take Stone's advice, pop a top and relax!

Sounds like you're in for a workout, Joe. I'm sure your guests will appreciate your efforts. Take pictures if you can and let us know how it turns out.

Pop a top, relaaahhhhx, ouwmmmmmmm, ouwmmmmmmmm, Buschhhhhhhhhhh. Have fun!

Remember, if it looks like you are going to run into time constraints, foil the meat.

Sounds like good practice.

I'm having approx the same number at my place this Saturday, but I'm not adding the extra stress of treating it like a competition.

The menu thus far:
Jambalaya (both a meat version and a veggie version)
Smoked beef sammiches
Smoked chicken thighs
Smoked Beef ribs (28 pounds)
Hot wings
Bacon wrapped prawns
Roasted corn on the cob
Potato salad

Good luck with your practice cook. After this party, cooking for only six judges is going to be a snap by comparison.

I saw your name on the contest roster. Looking forward to seeing you again in Peoria.

Ken

Goood LUck!!! sounds like fun......hey, have you even tried that hard mikes lemonade stuff....it goes really nice when washing down your John Daniels.....seriously....

good luck

keep us posted...and pics if you have...

Mords, you scared me for a second...thought you were going to tell me you drank that lemonade malt beverage crap and liked it...then you saved yourself with the JD washdown remark.

For a second, I thought that "MORDS" was hebrew for "WOMAN" !!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Ken - I'm going down that same path that you did. 2nd WSM, EZUp canopy, table (with extra pvc!), lots of cooking practice. I think you're right about this cook, I'm getting pretty stressed right now, although I feel better now that I've got the meat.

Thanks for all the help in getting to this point. Good luck as a first rookie rep, I'm sure I'll have a question or two for you.

See you in Peoria.

Mords - "John Daniels"? That Jack's little brother or something? I usually just use beer as a chaser anyway (not a big fan of the lemonade stuff)

Good morning, Joe.

That path does sound familiar. You should have about $500 invested by now on this steep and slippery slope, if I remember my own experience correctly.

Best be careful, though. I made some sidetrips along the way that I definitely know you won't want to follow. Such as, owing money to a shadowy guy whose nickname is "Icepick" is NEVER a good idea!

Relax and have fun with your practice cook. Your guests are going to enjoy your efforts. You'll find yourself being your own worst critic. Solo experiments like this are usually more stressful and harder to do than an actual contest where you're a part of the shared misery and insanity.

Take care. See you on the river.

Ken

Not bad Greg, Mords..Woman...very funny.. like ha ha ha.....i got it from my bro as well when i told him i tried it...hey ill try anything once.. well almost anything...like i said...as a chaser itll do well.....

and as for Jon daniels....Come on...when you know him as well as i do....you can call him Jon!!!!!!
icon_eek.gif

we were real tight for a few years back in college...reall tight!!!

and good luck on the cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back