Big cook chuck roll / brisket. Big Problem. What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hello gang. Gotta problem wondering how everyone thinks I should handle it.

As some of you folks know I've been planning a big cook for this weekend. Daughter's birthday party.

Was planning to do a 15 lb brisket and a 20 lb chuck roll. So here's the problem.

Went to my butcher this morning and he apologized and told me the largest brisket he could get was 10 lbs (!) and the point section was tiny.

So I improvised. I took a little smaller chuck roll 17 lbs and a 5 lb back cut (the point and flat up to the place on the flat where the point ends) as well as the 10 lb full brisket.

Not sure if I made a mistake or not but had to do something.

So now I'm cooking 5 lb, 10 lb and 17 lb pieces of meat.

Any advice on how to cook this mixed up mess?

I was planning to shred the CR and serve on sandwiches, slice the flat and serve as a platter, and make burnt ends from the point but I'm open to suggestions.

So here are the questions?

- Cooking times. Should I still start all 3 pieces of meat at the same time? The 5 lb back cut has me concerned. It's pretty small compared to the other cuts.

- Anybody have any experience bbqing a back cut brisket?

- I did a 15 lb packer a few weeks ago it came out fine. What should I worry about with a much smaller packer. The fat cap was about 1/3 to 3/4 inches.

- Placement of the cuts on the grids? Any advantage to doing something strange like putting the back cut on top of flat section of the full packer so it cooks a little slower and moister?

- Any creative suggestions or things I may have overlooked?

Serves me right. This is what I get for planning out a cook a month and a half in advance.

Thanks all.

Okay, let's see.

You could do the 5-pounder by itself earlier this week and re-heat party day, provided you can swing that time-wise. That would eliminate that cut from the equation.

If that's not possible: I prefer starting everything at the same time when I'm in weird-combo-cook mode. I like knowing that everything is on and going--makes me feel better (and so much of Q is psychological, don't you think?). I'd rather not add cold/cool/room temp meat to a hot cooker with meat(s) already going. I'd rather pull what's done as it's done and hold it.

Your back-cut should not be an issue as long as it's fatty enough. It's just smaller. The 10 lb packer should cook as your 15-pounder did, no issue there, it's just smaller too, so should require less time. What are the thicknesses of your packer and back-cut? Relatively the same? How trimmed is the back-cut relative to the packer? I don't see an advantage per se of stacking them. If you monitoring your internals and pull as things finish I don't see a problem. I am one who foils briskets (with added stock or some such) at 160, pulling in the low-mid 190s. I would recommend the foiling if that is not something you normally do.

It sounds like you have a great meal planned to me.

Rob, Don't stack them. You won't get any bark or smoke on them where they are laying on top of each other. Also the rub will be chalky where they are touching each other. If you can fit all 3 on at the same time then do it that way and pull and hold in a cooler till dinner time. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... So I improvised. I took a little smaller chuck roll 17 lbs and a 5 lb back cut (the point and flat up to the place on the flat where the point ends) as well as the 10 lb full brisket.

Not sure if I made a mistake or not but had to do something.

So now I'm cooking 5 lb, 10 lb and 17 lb pieces of meat.

Any advice on how to cook this mixed up mess?

I was planning to shred the CR and serve on sandwiches, slice the flat and serve as a platter, and make burnt ends from the point ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Rob, you are courageous and so are Kevin Kruger & Bryan S.

I have done multi item cooks (5 Course BBQ), but LITTLE things together, manageable, starting around the same time, little load shifts when introducing or removing things, could keep a grip on what might be raw dripping on which piece of meat ...

It's the 'burnt ends' part of your cook that is really throwing me. Haven't made them but I understand the norm is to seperate from brisket, throw back in cooker for xX hours until sufficiently dark.

Do you have enough remote therms? Not that you really NEED them, but depending on your nerves you might do a tremendous amount of lid lifting otherwise.

I think if it were me I would do two cooks. Do the single point you mentioned for burnt ends earlier in the week. Do the CR and brisket together for hot serving (after resting of course). They are gonna be your main attractions likely anyway and should be compatible for a single cook. Focus on them.

If you do your all in one I do hope you keep a log, I would love to hear how you managed it.

Hope it goes great for you whatever you decide.

Sorry for the late answer, but you might try cutting the roll in half. More surface area = less cooking time (and more bark/smoke flavor). Do a look on the board -- someone not too long ago was talking about doing this for butts (and I can tell you, having done it, that it is works well, drops your cooking time and gives you tons of bark).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art B:
Sorry for the late answer, but you might try cutting the roll in half. More surface area = less cooking time (and more bark/smoke flavor). Do a look on the board -- someone not too long ago was talking about doing this for butts (and I can tell you, having done it, that it is works well, drops your cooking time and gives you tons of bark). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Art thanks. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Question is now how long should I plan to cook?

I'd have 4 pieces of meat: 5 lbs, 8.75 x 2 , and 10.

What do you think? The brisket is the largest piece. If I allowed 1.5 hours that would be 15 hours then another 30% for the extra mass would make this about a 20 hour cook.

Sound right or am I way off the mark?

I'd rather be conservative on the estimate than late getting dinner on the table.

Bryan S' idea about pulling and holding makes sense as well. I've been able to hold a CR for 7 hours so I have a little wiggle room here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back