Big Bob Gibson's Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
DH made this last night for dinner. It was raining pretty hard, so he cooked it in the oven. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I am starting to get hooked on "White" BBQ sauce. What a difference. Oh, he made it with just thighs.

Big Bob Gibson's Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup hickory wood chips
One 3 /2 lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces
Vegetable oil, for brushing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1. Light a gas grill. Wrap the hickory wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the packet all over with a skewer. Add the foil packet to the grill. Cover and let the wood chips begin to smoke, about 5 minutes.
2. Brush the chicken with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken, covered, over moderately high heat, turning and shifting the pieces occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar, apple juice, horseradish, lemon juice and cayenne and season with 1 tsp. of black pepper and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Transfer the sauce to a pitcher and serve with the chicken. Makes 4 servings

Source: Food & Wine mag. June 2011

Oooh, I love this stuff! I have been craving Roadside Chicken and thought I would make some
once everything has settled down from the holidays. But now, I may have to do Big Bob's Chicken
first! The thighs are my favorite part of the chicken too. :D

Last name is Gibson and our family moved west from Alabama, I need to try this one asap.

I keep a Mason Jar of Bama white sauce in the fridge at all times. Good on chicken and turkey sandwiches, and as a salad dressing. Very good for cole slaw.

Lots of recipe variations -- ACV, honey, brown sugar, w-shire sauce, brown mustard, dijon mustard show up in different versions.

I keep a Mason Jar of Bama white sauce in the fridge at all times. Good on chicken and turkey sandwiches, and as a salad dressing. Very good for cole slaw.

Lots of recipe variations -- ACV, honey, brown sugar, w-shire sauce, brown mustard, dijon mustard show up in different versions.
Hi guys, I have at least 3 recipes in my make soon folder calling for 3 different versions of the white bbq sauce. Too tired now, maybe I will post them tomorrow.;)

Back