Big BBQ Plans This Weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm having a big group over this weekend for some BBQ. Should be around 20 people, and I'm feeling a bit aggresive. I want to do 2 pork butts, two smaller briskets, and 3 racks of ribs. Anyways - here's my plan. I appreciate any feedback/suggestions/improvements.

Start the bork butts on the top shelf Friday afternoon and do an over night cook. After 7-8 hours, I'm going to put in the beef briskets (cram them together on the bottom shelf). Everyone is coming over around 3 PM Saturday, and I would like to pull the pork butts off 4-5 hours before, and put the ribs to cook on the top shelf using the BRITU method/recipe.

Does that sound reasonable? Is it possible to wrap the pork butts in foil and place them in a cooler for 4-5 hours? I'd lake to wait to pull them until right before we eat.

I'm sure it will be way too much food, but I'd like to send everyone home with some leftovers (and keep some for myself).

What do you guys think. Am I crazy?

Sounds good to me.

The butts should hold that long. I have gone 5 hours with butts in the cooler without any problems. Just make sure you double wrap 'em and maybe use some towels as well.

You'll have lots of leftovers.

When you say you are cramming 2 small briskets on the bottom - what size briskets are you planning on cooking? You might as well just cook a whole flat on the bottom. A big flat nearly covers the whole thing, anyway. Plus, I find you run less risk of drying out by cooking a whole flat rather than two half flats.

or, if you can find it... a whole brisket - flat and point. But, I know it can be challenging in these parts to find one.

So, the real question is... when should I show up???
icon_smile.gif

- Adam

You have it planned about right sounds like. The pork will hold for at least 4 hours wrapped up and dont open the lid to let the heat out until pulling time.

I would also do one complete brisket instead of two and it will hold in a cooler as well if needed. If you want both meats done at the same time I would only wait 2 or 3 hours after the butts start to add the brisket. It needs to be wrapped up and held longer than the pork anyway in my opinion.

The ribs will be fine starting about 10 or so.

The best thing I ever done was started me a notebook and made notes each time I cooked. From when I started till the end, after several cooks you will learn what works best for you and your ideas will work out good. Your on the right track.

Randy

Thanks, guys - good suggestions. I have a hard time finding whole, untrimmed briskets around here (with the point and flat), so I usually end up getting untrimmed flats with the fat cap still intact. They end up ranging anywhere from 6-9 lbs, and I've been able to fit two on one rack in the past. However, I think I've got way too much meat, so I may go with just one brisket.

Good suggestion on the notebook. It's time I quit relying on my faulty memory, and start going with some documentation!

The only thing I can add is you may have to do an ash dump during the cook. I find the ash to be up to the bottom of the charcoal rack after a 16 hour butt cook. I guess it depends alot on the fuel you use. But after 16 hours with charcoal I usually have ash coming out of the bottom vents.

Back