Best way to freeze extra beef for burgers?

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a 10 lbs untrimmed brisket flat with the intent to grind it for hamburgers. However, it turns out there will be a lot less people coming for dinner than I thought so I'm left with the prospect of having too much meat for us to eat in one sitting.

With that in mind, I'm looking at freezing some of the extra meat. My initial thought was to just cut the brisket into 1-2 lbs. sections, vacuum seal each section separately and then freeze them. Then whenever we wanted to make some burgers, I could pull one out, defrost it, grind it and cook it.

However, my wife suggested I just grind the whole brisket now and freeze 1-2 lbs. portions of ground meat. Her reasoning is that it's easier to grind 10 lbs of meat once than it is to grind 2 lbs. 5 times (because of the overhead of setting up the grinder and then cleaning it after). But while I agree with her on that, my gut says that the beef will endure the freezing better as whole chunks rather than ground up.

So what say you? Freeze it as whole sections and grind as needed or grind it all now and then freeze it?

Chris listen to your wife lol, grind it all then freeze it that simple. You will use it up real fast all grinded up.

Im with noe and travis

Grind and freeze them in 1-2 lb packages.

Form a 1 big flat burger off the grind before you freeze it that way it takes upp less space and thawns verry quick.

You can hold minced meat in sealed bags in the freezer without the meat will drop in taste for a long time.

Thanks, guys. I went ahead and ground up the entire flat and froze it in 1-2 lbs. portions. The hardest part was telling my wife she was right.
icon_wink.gif

Back