Best SS grates for Genesis Silver B?

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all, a topic thats already been covered no doubt, best ss grates for Genesis Silver B? 8 or 9mm possibly? A link would be great.
Thanks

Here's Jon Tofte's stainless steel rod grate challenge thread:

The ones Jon, and most regulars around here, rate the highest, aren't available right now. Those are the ones made by Dave Santana (rcplanebuyer on ebay). He can't get the raw materials. I've taken to finding old trashed Summits for their grates. Second generation Summits have awesome, heavy, almost 9 mm grates that fit perfectly on a 1000 or Silver series Genesis. Not quite as high quality as Santana's but awesome just the same (and, in my case, good enough to cure the compulsion I was feeling to get my hands on the Santana holy grail of stainless grates).

Since old Summits become trash as the firebox burns through, one can sometimes get one for free (or close to it) in return for hauling it away. But be prepared. The Summit is not a Genesis. It is super heavy. Constructed like an aircraft carrier with a defective reactor that rusts through. Of course this makes no sense but it is what it is, and I digress. My point is be sure to bring ramps or get help lifting a big grill like that into a truck. Might be too much even for two men.

You'll notice Jon rates third gen Summit grates but they are too big for the Genesis and so he had to cut them down. In addition, they appear to be downgraded from the second gen Summit, as second gen grates were more closely spaced. I'm more than satisfied with the sets of second gen Summit grates I've found, and all the more because they were so much cheaper than buying new ones.

If you want new grates, among those that are currently available, most recommend the ones available through BBQParts. They are high quality but I believe 7 mm so they don't hold as much heat or create the same kind of sear marks. But they're still very nice. I have a set of those too. They were around $115 including tax and shipping. I find that, now that I have Summit grates, I don't use them anymore.

Last edited:
Here's Jon Tofte's stainless steel rod grate challenge thread:

The ones Jon, and most regulars around here, rate the highest, aren't available right now. Those are the ones made by Dave Santana (rcplanebuyer on ebay). He can't get the raw materials right now. I've taken to finding old trashed Summits for their grates. Second generation Summits have awesome, heavy, almost 9 mm grates that fit perfectly on a 1000 or Silver series Genesis. Since old Summits become trash as the firebox burns through, one can sometimes get one for free (or close to it) in return for hauling it away. But be prepared. These are not Genesis grills. They are super heavy. Bring ramps or get help lifting it into a truck.
Thank you

If you can get a set from Dave Santana aka "rcplanebuyer" those are certainly the best we have seen. I understand he is having supply troubles and having to increase prices. Not for the bargain shopper, but the last grates you will likely ever need.

I personally think the 304 stainless, Made in USA ones offered by BBQParts.com are a great 2nd choice. At 5/16" or about 8mm, they are a notch above the 7mm offerings on Amazon, etc. At $99 they are very fairly priced and from an American company that is a good friend of grill enthusiasts.

I know Roy really wanted the ones from Dave, but I think most people would find the BBQParts.com to be virtually as good. (Maybe Roy will sell you his set!)

For considerably less money, 7mm offerings from Hongso and Qlimetal, when you can find them on Amazon are both decent choices, just not top drawer. In my review I looked at some others that were nice as well. Availability and prices change all the time, so you will have to still shop.

Even more important than the thickness of the bars is the spacing between them. I would MUCH rather grill on 7mm grates properly spaced than 9mm widely spaced.

Trying to figure out why people are so obsessed with “sear marks”.
I totally get that sear marks do nothing to improve flavor. Indeed, those that really study this stuff have shown that the best flavor comes from an overall "crust" (NOT burned steaks that have been touted here at least once). That said, I personally really like sear marks because they serve as a kind of "eye candy" to friends and family when I bring food in off the grill. Not everyone agrees. I did laugh when I sent this picture to my friend whose family got me to try these "marinated turkey breast" strips:

Marinated Turkey Breast.jpeg
My friend's 8-year old daughter, who is a big fan of this interesting treat, said "How come yours don't look like that?"

So, no, grill marks don't make food TASTE any better, but for at least some people they make it LOOK better. And looks are part of what we enjoy about food - especially grilling and bbq.

It doesn't have to be GrillGrates, either:

Q100 searing steaks.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m with Adam Perry Lang, sear the entire steak, turning often. Preferably directly on coals, or an IR burner.

I find the meat right under the sear marks has a different flavor. One that contributes to the flavor of the meat.

If I have leftovers after grilling and serving, I'll throw all sorts of meat in the instant pot with onions and garlic which I carmelize in a cast iron pan, add other seasonings, and turn it into the most delicious stew. I find that the sear marks, like the carmelization o f the onions and garlic, really contribute to the flavor.

I totally get that sear marks do nothing to improve flavor. Indeed, those that really study this stuff have shown that the best flavor comes from an overall "crust" (NOT burned steaks that have been touted here at least once). That said, I personally really like sear marks because they serve as a kind of "eye candy" to friends and family when I bring food in off the grill. Not everyone agrees. I did laugh when I sent this picture to my friend whose family got me to try these "marinated turkey breast" strips:

View attachment 46598
My friend's 8-year old daughter, who is a big fan of this interesting treat, said "How come yours don't look like that?"

So, no, grill marks don't make food TASTE any better, but for at least some people they make it LOOK better. And looks are part of what we enjoy about food - especially grilling and bbq.

It doesn't have to be GrillGrates, either:

View attachment 46599
+1 on the GrillGrates. That's all I'm gonna say.

For me, an overall sear is the goal. I know a lot of you hate the new Weber gas grills, but with my E-330 sear station and cast iron, I get a much better overall sear than I did with my Silver B with stainless grates where I got more of a "branded" steak. IMO, tastes better too.

Back