Best Probe Wire Solution? Cut Notch or Drill Port in 22" WSM?

From all the posts, I thought. "It'll never work." After clicking on the link, it looks promising. I may hold off upgrading my igrill....now if it would just tie in to the IQ!

If the front door is 6 o'clock, about where are you cutting the slot? I need one badly. Wrestling with 3 probes through those factory holes is a pain. And then the hassle of the wires and about causing catastrophe trying to move meat, igrill or top grate.

Since I'm using a dual-probe thermometer, I cut the slot in the vicinity of the rubber probe port, since both wires have to plug into the remote sender unit.

That's the million dollar question.

I have always done my probes to the right side if you are looking at the door since i am right handed and thats where weber puts there's but i am rethinking that. I often use my performer as the work table for my WSM, and that is often where the maverick base unit sits. The Gas assist lights the chimney for my minion starts and the empty perfomer bowl acts as a perfect holder for the top grate with or without meat while i tend to the lower rack. Because of its shape, the Performer is usually to the Left of the WSM and therefore i am thinking that placing the Notch to the left might be better. Also it will keep wires out of the way while tending to meat.

I want to experiment further before i cut so so immediate cuts are being made yet until i am certain. Obviously the notch position can switched by turning the smoker body 180 degrees assuming you still have access to door.

Back