Best Practices for a First Chuck Roll cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi,

I'm getting ready for my maiden voyage with a chuck roll next weekend. I've scanned the forums and there's a lot of good ideas out there.

I was wondering if any of you experts out there might be willing to share what you consider to be the most important best practices?

Thanks in advance all.

Rob O, Remember to foil at 160 and don't be poking any holes in the foil. If your doing a big one don't forget to flip it. Count on 1 hr - 1 1/4 hr per lb. And let it rest for at least 2 hrs. Enjoy.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

I have cooked one. I cooked for 21 hours at a avg . temp of 225*. Let it rest! I pulled it off the WSM at 196* wraped it and put it in a dry cooler for 4 hours , the temp was still 136*. I know you will love it , they are great. Good luck , let us all know how it was.

Rick

At roughly 225, how long do you think it will take my 16lb.er to get to 160? I'm doing a big part of this cook unattended, and I need to plan it so I'm around when it's time to foil -- thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
... don't be poking any holes in the foil... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The first CR I did was good, but very fatty done this way. Maybe I have just been getting overly fatty cuts but I trim the heck out of them too.
Even with allowing them to drain while cooking my family says they seem more fatty than the pork butt I prepare.

The fat starts to render out at 160F and if the thing is tightly wrapped in foil it has no where to go. I find it just downright nasty when it's cold and greasy.

Perhaps try your first one the standard way as Bryan suggests (Jim Minion also recommends the tight foiling at 160F) ... if it's not greasy or it doesn't bother you that's great!

If on the other hand, like me you find it too greasy there are a few things you can do the next time around: foil later (like 170F or 180F) or not at all, allow foil to drain during cooking by poking a couple of holes in it, or do the tight foil at 160F but open it up before you rest it, drain as best you can (give it a good squeeze too) then re-foil before you rest it.

How about placing the CR on a roasting rack then foiling over the rack and roast? This would prevent it from sitting in its own fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
At roughly 225, how long do you think it will take my 16lb.er to get to 160? I'm doing a big part of this cook unattended, and I need to plan it so I'm around when it's time to foil -- thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, This is purely a guess since each one is different. I'm going to say approx 9 - 10 hrs. Don't hold me too this.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...Doug, This is purely a guess since each one is different. I'm going to say approx 9 - 10 hrs. Don't hold me too this. Bryan ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Bryan, I was thinking about the same, as early as 8 hrs ... but so many factors ... is it going to be cut in half? cooked with something else (like 2 butts on top)? using Minion or standard method?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and I need to plan it so I'm around when it's time to foil <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> that's gonna be tough to do Rob if you want to foil it at exactly 160F. Keep an eye on it, play it by ear with your schedule and foil it as close to target temp as you can manage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
What are most of you "chuck-rollers" using for sauces when you serve? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Chris, a Carolina Mustard recipe posted here is my hands-down fav for CR. BRYAN S Chipotle Mayo is second and I also like spicy/sweet tomatoe sauces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
How about placing the CR on a roasting rack then foiling over the rack and roast? This would prevent it from sitting in its own fat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think that's a neat idea.

I've only done one Chuck Roll, so I'm no expert, but this sauce, with the horseradish, went very well with it:

Alabama White BBQ Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
2 to 4 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp freshly grated or prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
MAKE AHEAD The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

oh yeah, Chris I really like the creamy horseradish sauce I have in the fridge with the CR as well ... the recipe John posted sounds like it would be similar

thanks for recipe John, it sounds good, I will try it

Rob, It sounds like a plan to me. Why wouldn't it work??
icon_confused.gif
I like the sauce John Mason posted. It sounds great. My wife usually puts mustard on chuck roll and brisket, but she's wierd (she married me!) Good luck with it and don't forget the pics!!!

Nick P.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
How about placing the CR on a roasting rack then foiling over the rack and roast? This would prevent it from sitting in its own fat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a plan to me. Great idea.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back