Best Meatloaf Ever

Curtis Adams

I smoked my first meatloaf today following the instructions on this web site. I used my mother's recipe and it turned out to be the best meatloaf I have ever had. My wife looked at the slice I gave her and said that the meat was a little pink around the edge. I happily explained to her that was the smoke ring. After she ate her first slice my wife had to admit that buying the WSM was a pretty good idea after all. The wife told our son that she is giving up cooking and turning the job over to me.

A special thanks goes to Jeff T Miller who was nice enough to give me a good selection of wood to smoke. I used some apple and oak he gave me and its flavor was wonderful.

Congratulations, Curtis! We love smoked meatloaf too and I doubt I'd ever want to make it any other way. I can see that you've won over your family.

Are you ready to take over ALL of the cooking chores? Not that it's a chore to those of us who love to do it - it's Play Time!

Rita

Yes, congrats Curtis.

Leftovers--if any--are even better. Slice and fry in some unsalted butter, flipping a couple times, till browned here and there on the outside. The interior fat will render and the meatloaf takes on a lightness that's just great; the browning on both sides of the slices adds yet another flavor dimension.

Since you have some oak zip on over to the Trader Joe's on East Stroop and pick up a tri-tip or two (I suggest the plain, unmarinated) and grill/smoke that. Sliced thin against the grain--well, your wife might make you take over all of the cooking chores...

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Leftovers--if any--are even better. Slice and fry in some unsalted butter, flipping a couple times, till browned here and there on the outside. The interior fat will render and the meatloaf takes on a lightness that's just great; the browning on both sides of the slices adds yet another flavor dimension.

That sounds really good. We had the leftovers as sandwichs and the meatloaf was just as good as yesterday. I will never go back to baking meatloaf.

Curtis

Curtis, glad to hear it went well and tasted great. I just wanted to mention you left the sassafras sitting on the tailgate of my truck. I will save it til the next time.

Originally posted by Curtis Adams:
I used my mother's recipe and it turned out to be the best meatloaf I have ever had.
O.k. I'll ask.
Can you give us the recipe? If your Mom won't mind?
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Stone:
O.k. I'll ask.
Can you give us the recipe? If your Mom won't mind?
icon_biggrin.gif

Mom would be happy if I passed along her meatloaf recipe. It goes as follows:

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3 oz. Velveeta cheese chopped into small pieces.
½ cup chopped onions
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper

In mixing bowl, crumble ground beef. Add slightly beaten egg and mix. Add cracker crumbs, tomato sauce and mix. Add chopped cheese, chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Mix all together. Shape meatloaf mixture.

I doubled the recipe and followed the instructions here Meatloaf

Enjoy!
Curtis

Thanks so much -- although I don't know that I've ever gotten my smoker up to 350-375*. It'll be interesting.

By the way -- a meatloaf tip for those who don't know: Go easy on the meat. (Same tip in making burgers.) Kneading the ground meat too much causes the fat molecules to join, similar to the joining of gluten molecules in bread. This creates tougher meat (just like the gluten molecules in bread make the bread firmer).

Cheers.

Hey Curtis, you got my mouth watering! I gotta find my Grandmother's meatloaf recipe tonight and smoke one Sunday.

Originally posted by Craig C:
Hey Curtis, you got my mouth watering! I gotta find my Grandmother's meatloaf recipe tonight and smoke one Sunday.

If your Grandmother's meatloaf recipe taste good, it'll be great with a smoke flavor. Like the instructions say, go easy on the smoke. I used one fist size of oak and two of apple. The smoke taste was just right. It added to the meatloaf and didn't overpower the flavor.

Let us know how your's comes out and post the recipe. I have started collecting different recipes that I want to try out.

Back