Best Grilling Tools?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I don't get them by the set, I get the tools by the piece I want and like.

Spatula, but you can find it cheaper, and 16" tongs from Amazon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, pick and choose what _YOU_ like. I found myself using pretty useless tongs years ago, and then decided, after upgrading to scalloped-edge tongs, that the old tongs work just fine for handling charcoal.
Plus, if you are at someone's party and they know you are a griller/smoker, they hand you some piece of crap tongs and ask you to help? Well, now I carry extra tongs with me when I go to certain peoples' houses - even the $7 ones at Lowes will do for that.

i must be the odd one cuz the only tool i use 99.99 % of the time is my tongs. two times i used a wide spatula for fish. the rest are getting rusty. many tools that i tried at the stores really seem to bulky. i have other tools but just never use them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i must be the odd one cuz the only tool i use 99.99 % of the time is my tongs. two times i used a wide spatula for fish. the rest are getting rusty. many tools that i tried at the stores really seem to bulky. i have other tools but just never use them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's odd, you're not alone, cause that's exactly what I use too, including a solidly built spatula for fish now and then. Even then, I am likely to use a set of tongs in each hand, instead.

You're right - the tools you see at stores either look/feel too flimsy, too stylish, or too bulky.

I have never, ever used a fork, for instance.
...A friend was trying to lift a finished brisket off his little brinkman smoker last month with two forks, and instead I moved them for him with two scalloped edge tongs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:

I'm also still kind of partial to the old, but cheap and trusty tong-type-device:
-about 16-18 inches long
-scissors-type, vinyl-coated grips
-spatula on one side and "gripper" on the other side.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like a decent quality set of these, with the spatula/tong combination. Any place online that sells them that are proven?

I like my OXO tongs. They're relatively expensive ($10-$15) but they're sturdy and they lock closed for easy drawer storage.

Back