Best gas grill body type for near the beach?

AndrewSwenson

My father is moving to Cape Code, and will be a few blocks from the beach. I am buying him a gas grill, and am looking for people's opinions about what stands up best to the beach weather, specifically with rusting in mind.

I know he like the look of non-stainless steel, so I am leaning towards a Genesis E - 310 but with stainless steel grates.

- Is stainless steel a must for the body?

- Do the grate types matter? SS vs. cast iron? I am worried cast iron would do very poorly

- Anything special I can do for the grill to help it last longer?

Thanks!

No matter what the environmental conditions the stainless grates for the Genesis are well worth the extra $.

My father got the black enamel Genesis with SS grates about a year ago and his house is about 75 feet from the Atlantic down in Florida. Every week I get to hear how impressed he is that the grill is still in mint condition. Everything rusts down there. They replace lamps, televisions, etc on a regular basis, so I guess it means something coming from him when he is happy...I can't promise anything, but he is a believer!

In New Smyrna Beach FL, I have seen Genesis rusted away in 2 years. Cars in 2 or 3, at about 100 ft from the water. It is the salty sea spray
that does them in. But it does not have to be that way. At our condo we have fresh water hoses to rinse the sea spray away. That stops the rust
on cars, and on grills. I have a container on my patio, after I rinse the grill off with the hose, it roll into the Rubbermaid container. If your dad has
a shed that is close by, just roll the grill into the shed and he should be OK.

Would a ceramic cooker (a-la Big Green Egg) hold up any better? Might just have to keep an eye on the metal parts (hinges and such?)

Consider a Q gasser size dependent on how many he might cook for. I have a Q300 at our vacation home on Hood Canal in Washington. It is under a porch when we aren't using it and I take the grates off and keep them in our storage shed to minimize rusting. Been there three years and still looks great...

as stated before, it's the salt that is his enemy. if he has a way to get rid of it after use and keep it off between cooks, it should last much longer. so, imo-it's gonna be storage/care that will be the determining factor. anything left in salt water will crap out quick. keep it salt free and dry and it's gonna depend on how diligent he is w/said care.

Last edited:
It will depend on which side of the house the grill is located. I live across the street, but the house more or less blocks the salt air, but in front of the house, it is more intense. I have rust problems with a stainless grill in that the screws and nuts rusted. I now have a Genesis for several years, keep it covered and no problems so far. The cast iron, when seasoned, should not be a problem as I also have one of those for years with no problems...........................d

Back