Best Cut to Freeze

Thom Tomlinson

TVWBB Member
I have been asked to smoke a piece of meat - either tri tip, turkey breast or some other large carnivore pleaser, for a friend to give as a gift. He would like to be able to have me vacuum seal and freeze the meat so his friend can warm it at a later date. I would not attempt to do this for myself and have little experience freezing whole cuts.

Any suggestions or cautionary tales appreciated.

I wouldn't do tri-tip. Since you cook it to rare or medium rare, reheating does a number on it.

Not as bad, but similar for Turkey.

I'd do a meat that is cooked to very well done, like brisket or pulled pork. If I were giving as a gift, I think I'd do brisket - it's presentation is better. Personally, I'd slice it before I freeze. Then vacuum seal and freeze. I do this with my briskets and it comes out perfectly.

Good luck!

I would recommend pork butt as the easiest to keep moist during a reheat. Ribs can also work but make sure you don't over cook because during the reheat they can get mushy.
Jim

I'm way comfortable freezing and thawing Q (I always smoke multiple butts at one time), but somehow it doesn't fit with what this particular person may like. I'm a little anxious about freezing a brisket flat, sliced or not. I routinely freeze the chopped point but have never had any sliced flat leftovers to freeze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom O:
Adam....After you vacuum seal and freeze the brisket, how do you reheat it and serve?...tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depends - usually, I throw the whole thing in the microwave on low for a while. Boiling works great though too.

If the package is open, the I microwave on low until it is warm. You lose a bit of moisture, but adding a bit of moisture afterwards or during helps well.

Thank you. I've never had any left over, but I am going to try to have some on Labor Day. I will offer pulled pork in addition to the brisket. On Memorial Day, my wife complained that she only got scraps. Heck they started to eat it as I sliced it...tom

Back