Best Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
after i heard about contaminates in cowboy lump started using hasty bake in 10 lb bags for $5 and luckily they are a local company. according to naked whiz its made for them by ozark and is hickory and oak. really good stuff

Wow, look at all the CT guys. I live in Meriden and work in Stratford. I use Kingsford for smokes. It's reliable and consistent.
Keith

Keith, I can get Duraflame charcoal from down the street, Wicked Good they want a pallet purchased. I'd like to get some Rancher or Basque...Interested in any of these? BTW Meriden elks is having All You Can Eat BBQ ribs, brisket, Pulled pork etc this weekend all for $25.

Hey, thanks Bill. I don't really have any experience with anything other than kingsford. I have been smoking with the wsm for a couple years and I tried that cowboy stuff once (disaster) but the kingsford has always treated me well. What are the advantages of the ones you mentioned? I'll see if I can shoot down to the elks for some food. It sound good! I am working all day saturday, but maybe Sunday is doable. Here is a brisket effort of mine:
DSC00560.jpg

I will doing a couple briskets and a butt this weekend or next.

Keith

Keith, sounds/looks good. The Elks is on Sat. only, as far as the charcoal it boils down to personal preferance, just didn't know about splitting a pallet with anyone. Rancher is not Cowboy. Bill

I've used many differnt brands over the years, both lump and briqs. I find the best charcoal is the one that works the best for you, is easy to obtain, and the price is right. For me that is Humphrey's Lump. It burns a really long time (just as long as Wicked Good), it's priced right, and I can get it local, verses buying it online and paying for shipping.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rancher is not Cowboy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bill. Yes, I realize that. I was saying I tried the cowboy stuff for my smoker and it didn't go very well. I don't like the smell the kingsford puts out, but I have yet to taste it in my food. I read the stubbs thread, which they have at lowes around here. May give it a try. I realize it is packed by cowboy, but it seems to have gotten some good reviews. Hope your enjoying the Q today. It is gorgeous down in Stratford.
Keith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I've used many differnt brands over the years, both lump and briqs. I find the best charcoal is the one that works the best for you, is easy to obtain, and the price is right. For me that is Humphrey's Lump. It burns a really long time (just as long as Wicked Good), it's priced right, and I can get it local, verses buying it online and paying for shipping.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bryan. I agree with you. I am trying not to get too wrapped in the different types. Seems like you could drive yourself crazy! I know what the kingsford is going to do and how to handle it, but I do sometimes worry about the smell.

Keith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Keith, I can get Duraflame charcoal from down the street, Wicked Good they want a pallet purchased. I'd like to get some Rancher or Basque...Interested in any of these? BTW Meriden elks is having All You Can Eat BBQ ribs, brisket, Pulled pork etc this weekend all for $25. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bill,
Is it 40 bags per pallet? Where do you get it? I would possibly be interested in splitting a pallet. Let me know the details. We can go PM if this bothers anyone.

Thanks,
Keith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
For me that is Humphrey's Lump. It burns a really long time (just as long as Wicked Good), it's priced right, and I can get it local, verses buying it online and paying for shipping.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan - that's my lump of choice too. My first bag of cowboy resulted in finding plywood lump - i thought WTH? I took it back to Lowes and did some research to find Humphreys locally. I'll never go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back