best bbq sauce for brisket.

Cesar

TVWBB Fan
I have a 13lb brisket Im going to put on around 11pm tonight using brisket - midnight cook recipe and want to serve at 3pm Saturday. Anyhow what is the most tasty bbq sauce to serve with this recipe.

With this recipe come out ok if I only have hickory and mesquite wood chunks.

Thanks.

Cesar,

Try looking under the "Rubs, Marinades, Brines, and Sauces" section of this forum. There are lots of sauce idea's in there. You could experiment with a sauce or two while your brisket is cooking tommorrow. If you don't want to make your own I would think a KC masterpiece type sauce would be fine. Hickory and mesquite work well for brisket but IMO, I would use just one and not mix the two for fear of being too strong.

Good Luck...

I'd leave out the mesquite and go somewhat light on the hickory, personally. Beef is easier to overwhelm with smoke flavor than pork, and I personally just don't like the sharp whang that mesquite can give beef.

Light hickory is my vote, unless you can find a few chunks of oak laying around somewhere - my prettiest deepest purplish-red smoke rings come when I'm using oak. Oh, and when your brisket starts out VERY cold when it hits the smoker. Since your smoke ring only forms during the time that the meat is still under 140 or so, the very cold meat hitting the smoker gives more ring-forming time. I know you didn't ask about that, but ya got it anyway!
icon_wink.gif
)

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

whats light on the hickory? how many chunks is light? Should I bury any in the charcoal when using the minion method?

I can get apple or cherry chips. Should i get some of those and put in foil?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
I may be wrong but isn't Hickory a lot stronger then mesquite? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. Go heavy on the hickory, and you get heavy smoke flavor. Go heavy on mesquite, and you get what to me tastes like burnt plastic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I'd go with 3 to 4 fist size chunks of mesquite, leave out the hickory........Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, I'm bettin' you're a Texas boy?
icon_wink.gif

Cesar, you can easily use those chips in with the chunks. Make a pouch out of doubled-over HD aluminum foil, put your chips in the pouch, and seal it up right. Poke three or four small toothpick holes in the pouch, and it'll smoke slowly for you, just like we do when we use the pellets for smoke. I use hickory chips in that manner when I smoke cheese.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
(that would be NORTH of the Red River)

cesar,
I made a brisket the other day my sauce was simple but very tasty. I emptied my dry water pan and strained, reconstituted the dried drippings (be careful you don't want to do this with burnt drippings)in water. added a little apple cider vinegar, beer, ketchup, brown sugar, rendered fat from brisket, and rub. simmered for half hour. after removing resting brisket from foil I added remaining juices added a little s&p to taste this sauce is loosely based on what I have read about texas sauces everyone really enjoyed it.

Back