Beginner here!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am just starting out in this world. I have previosly only smoked with friends where they were leading the way.

I am about to get a grill but I really dont understand the benfits of using a WSM vs. a Bandera or Silver smoker (offset smokers).

Can anyone give a newbe some advice.

Back in the day, before I got my WSM, I lusted after a New Braunfels Bandera. But what changed my mind was that it was not worth firing up unless you filled it up and cooked a lot of meat-- which I was not interested in doing. The WSM let me cook as little as I wished, with far less fuel, maintaining much finer control in the process.

Hornbri,
I know people that love their offsets. But, they have to spend a lot more time babysitting, and consume a lot more fuel then I do with my WSM.

You can make good cue with any kind of contraption if you spend enough time with it, learning how to use it.

I love the WSM becuse I am lazy. Got better things to do then stay up all night babysitting a fire on a long cook. I like my naps.

Well Hornbri, let me tell you what I experienced yesterday and then you be the judge. My teammates and I cooked a little bar contest, them vs me. They had one of those silver smoker off-sets and I had my WSM.

Once I got my fire going and temp set, I walked around and chatted with some of the other folks and did some other things. At the same time, back at the camp the teammate sat in his chair next to the firebox of his little offset. Every few minutes he would check the thermometer and then make an adjustment to his air intake. Which would you rather do?

Thanks for all the responses. I have been convinced to get my own WSM. I just placed the order on Amazon.

I have gain alot from reading the posts on this message board. I plan to stick around.

Thanks Guys.

Welcome aboard, Hornbri!

I hope FedEx is a lot kinder to your WSM than they were to mine!! Don't want to see another Bullet-brother or -sister miss their "baptismal smoke" due to a busted-up-in-shipping WSM.

Do stick around and post frequently. I've been on this forum for about 2 months now and I've gained 10 lbs. just reading the dawg-gonned posts about Mr. Brown, BRITU, and other culinary delights, as well as first-person accounts of all-night smokes (whooo, can't wait to do mine!!!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

Ah, the WSM, there's nothing like it! Heck, I've only been at it for 2 months----and have never had a clue how to BBQ--- and the food still comes out tasting like a million bucks. Of course, that's what makes this board invaluable. Sooooo much experience here to tap into, and such nice folks willing to share.

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back