Beer Can Turkey

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hey,
I had planned for this cook to happen Monday, but I defrosted the turkey too soon, and decided to go ahead and cook it today, before I go to work.

I got up too early to drink (even for me!), so as to have plenty of time to get this bird done, and as much as it pained me, I poured out 1/2 of a can of Bud Light, then added 1 minced garlic clove, and 1 tsp of Blues Hog Rub to it.

Removed neck and giblets from turkey, washed, patted dry. Rubbed w/ EVOO, dusted w/ Blues Hog Rub, and set bird on can stand.

The weather was cloudy, slight drizzle, 36*, SSE @ 7.
Lit 1 Weber chimney of coals, added 1 full chimney and 3 hickory chunks on top of them when burning well.
Assembled WSM, set vents to maintain 325* - 350* at the lid.
My unit held a steady 330* from 6:30 to 9:00, then the temp began dropping. I stirred at 8:30, and added another couple of pounds of unlit briquettes at 9:00.
That helped, temp jumped back up to around 320* at 9:30, and I measured 180* in the breast and 170-something* in the thigh.
Took her off the cooker, brought inside, covered loosely in foil, rested for 30 minutes.

I removed the left wing, looked done!
Same w/ right wing!
Oops! The thighs don't seem to be completely done.
There is also some pink meat in the breast.
I must have measured the temp at the wrong place when I checked it. Oh, well.
Into the pan, into the oven, covered w/ foil @ 350* for an hour.
That's where we are now.

The carcas is still sitting on the table, and we are picking at it occasionaly.
This bird had a beautiful color...dark, golden brown, very tender, very, very, moist.

This does not taste like Mom's Thanksgiving turkey, though. It's good, it's fine, but it's not Mom's Thanksgiving turkey.
The skin is too tough to eat, as well.
That's no big deal to me. Turkey sandwiches for everybody!!

Sounds tasty and a nice recovery! Also, if you have to pour beer out, bud light is a good one.
icon_biggrin.gif

subdude

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...Oops! The thighs don't seem to be completely done.
There is also some pink meat in the breast.
I must have measured the temp at the wrong place when I checked it. Oh, well.
Into the pan, into the oven, covered w/ foil @ 350* for an hour.
... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I had the same issue with my vertical bird. It wasn't as bad with the horizontal birds, but they were also only half the size. I had the legs and thighs tight to the body.

I'm thinking it might be better to leave them loose, and foil them later on to protect them if necessary. How big was your bird?

BTW: Pink in the breast can also be smoke ring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
How big was your bird?

BTW: Pink in the breast can also be smoke ring. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This bird was ~ 15 lbs.

I agree about the smoke ring, but that pink should be near the skin. This pink was deeper, like close to the ribs. :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles Howse:
...This bird was ~ 15 lbs.

I agree about the smoke ring, but that pink should be near the skin. This pink was deeper, like close to the ribs. :-) ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think some of the breast meat against the body cavity or otherwise near any surface exposed to smoke can get smoke ring too. Just a thought. You would know better what kind of 'pink' you are talking about and where it was.

Aren't they sooooo good smoked Charles? I can't wait do do another. One thing I really loved doing with the smoked turkey was smoked turkey salad sandwiches. I used the Chipotle Mayo recipe in the recipe section and threw in some chopped celery and onions. Really, really good.

Also, consider giving brining a go. Apple-Brined Whole Turkey is just incredible! I did two 18 pounders on a single batch of brine, turkeys in jumbo freezer bags. Used packing tape around the bag to suck up the slack but not too tight and it kept the meat well covered in brine.

When I did a Beer Can Turkey, I used a big LaBatt's Blue Can. It's like a Foster's Oil can. Fit right in. And, I didn't pour the other half out...
icon_biggrin.gif

Back