Beer Can Stands

George Roth

TVWBB Member
I noticed that WalMart has two styles of beer can chicken holders.

Is there a particular holder (WalMart, Menards, Home Depot) that works the best on the WSM grates and how many chickens will fit on each grate?

I have two Chick-Can Racks-- available at Wal-Mart and elsewhere. I bought two because they were inexpensive, but have only ever used one at a time. I would guess, though, that at least two, if not three, would fit on the top grate simultaneously. Being there is only 7" clearance between the top and bottom WSM grates, they would be of no use on the bottom.

George get the one with a continuos ring around the bottom of the feet. I have both and the ones with just the feet tend to tip on the racks of my grill or smoker whichever I use to cook.

I went to Gander Mountain and purchased a Keg Roaster that fits on my deep fryer stand. Can do3 chickens or switch and do 1 turkey. Can smoke in it also. Great little contraption. Alittle pricey for $60 but its a just another gadget wife says I didn't need but doesn't complain when I cook with it.

the weber stand is nice (but pricey as it eliminates teh need for a drip pan and collects the jices in its own resevoir. They also have a plug that you are supposed to put in the top of the bird to enhance the steaming evffect from the beer.

Like your wife said"just another gadget wife says I didn't need but doesn't complain when I cook with it"

I guess im old fashion, I use a beer can.....I cross the birds legs then zip a cable tie around them to make the tripod that holds it up. Is their an advantage to using a purpose built device in this situation?

Sometimes the birds can tumble over if you just use a can, but I'm strictly a can girl. Beer for chickens, Fosters for turkey, tall boys for duck, and cute little juice cans for anything smaller (the latter being the only one i haven't done yet).

Back