Beer can chicken

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Peoples

Do I need to brine my chickens if I am going to try the beer can method in the watersmoker.

Charlie

I brine all my poultry now, but then I also always do it at 325-350*. You can achieve good results without brining at lower temps, but I personally found when doing chicken low, it too often came out overly smoky tasting. So for me, the best combo is brining, high temp, and easy on the smokewood.

As we all know, the amount of smoke flavor one wants in their food varies greatly among individuals. I've even seen some posts recently where the big problem was how to get more smoke flavor. It is true that chicken cooked slow can absorb a lot of smoke flavor. I notice the flavor a lot more the next 2 days I'm eating left overs. I do, however, like some smoke flavor so I go light on the smokewood, maybe 2 not so large chunks of pecan or hickory. If I had ready access to apple I would use that. Without any smoke flavor, it's almost like cooking in the oven inside which is ok, but I like to think I can do a little something different and "better" outside. Otherwise, the truth comes out and I am really just playing outside. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back