Beer Can Chicken on WSM

S. Dover

TVWBB Fan
The wife is getting hungry for BCC again and since I just got the WSM, ...this just in from the stupid question department...How is the best way to do it on the WSM?

I'm thinking on the lower rack over the foiled water pan filled with water and apple juice? Or should I leave off the liquid and go for a higher temp? Any suggestions?

Leave out the water. Go for a temperature of 350 in the dome. Just as if you were cooking on a gasser or regular Weber charcoal grill.

Virgil

Steve,

Ditto on what Virgil said. I did BCC this weekend and kept the WSM humming at a temp of 325 to 350 degrees with no water in the water pan. I did strech foil across the pan and made a dimple to catch the drippings. Chicken was extremely moist and tender and the skin was nice and crisp.

Vic

Guys,

Abot how much charcoal are you using ?

Minion method ? (I would guess not)

About how long was the cook ?

Thank you, (I have to try this soon)

I do beer can chicken every time I cook ribs. Once the ribs are done, I open everything up (including the door) to get the heat up. Depending on how the charcoal looks, I may add a couple briquettes. It gets above 350 real quick. I usually put three chicken on the top grate and leave everything wide open. They usually take around an hour. I also take the water pan out.

On a side note, try cooking more chickens than you plan to eat. Remove the skin, "chop" the meat, and freeze portions (unsauced). We wrap the meat in plastic wrap and put it into ziplocks. Reheat on stove w/sauce. We do the same with ribs, except they are reheated on the grill w/sauce. We've had excellent results and it makes for many easy dinners.

Thanks guys. You just solved my problem of what to have for dinner tonight.
icon_smile.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Stuart, you are right. Don't use the Minion method. It won't get the WSM hot enough quickly. Use "Standard Method".

Actually, I do all my beer can chickens on my Weber Gold B gas grill at 350 degrees for approximately an hour. Since I use the grill, hard for me to say how much charcoal to use in the WSM.

By the way, if you don't have the Weber chcken Roaster, take a look at it. It holds the chicken better than a beer can, and has a pan that catches all the drippings, so you have no cleanup problem. I even cook veggies in the hot drippings while the chicken is cooking.

Virgil

Stuart,

I did not use the Minon method, I used a full chimmey of lit charcoal and added another chimmey of un-lit charcoal. My cooking time was about 1.5 hours for a 4+ lb. chicken. I kept the temp at 350 degrees.

I use to live and work in Monmouth County about 10 years ago, my parents live nearby in Bradley Beach.

Vic

Back