Beer can chicken help

Billy W

TVWBB Member
Tomorrow I am going to attempt my first beer can chicken on my ots. I plan on getting a beer can holder before I cook. I have some questions regarding the size of the chicken. It measures roughly 8.5 inches and is 5lbs. Will that fit on the grate with a beer can holder. I believe the inside from grate to kid is roughly 8 inches but wasn't sure if after the bird is out and out on the holder if it would fit. In the event that it doesnt, can I remove the top grate and cook it on the charcoal grate? If so do I need to compensate anything for the heat since it will be next to the heat and not next to it but higher? I would hate to start only to find out it doesnt fit.

Thanks for the help.

Billy, just get a roaster pan and sit it on the charcoal grate, then stand the chicken or chickens inside the roaster, you will have awesome chicken in about 1.5-2 hrs at 325-350 degrees. Good luck!

I routinely roast 8lb beer can chickens on the charcoal grate of my Performer. I use to alum foil the sides of the charcoal baskets with heavy duty foil to prevent overcooking the bird.

However, I recently purchased some fire bricks and roasted an 8lb chicken in a drip pan on top of the bricks on the charcoal grate last weekend and it came out moist and delicious.

You could probably substitute something else for the bricks to raise the height of the bird. Perhaps an overturned pan?

I do them on the charcoal grate also. Just divide the kettle with firebricks. You may want to rotate it part way through the cook.

Thanks everyone. I am going with tin foil tray on charcoal rack with chicken on beer holder. I will have charcoal set up on one side separated by firebricks. I don't need to raise the chicken up st off off the grate?

Thanks everyone. The plan is tin foil tray on charcoal rack with the chicken on a beer can holder. I will have charcoal to 1 side separated by firebricks. Do I need to rose the tin foil pan and chicken up on the grate at all? I do have 2 extra 1.25 inch fire brick I could lay down next each, boy I wouldnt think 1.25 inches in height would make that much of a difference.
Any thoughts?

Sounds good Billy. I usually put a small amount of the rub I am using on the chicken into the beer can to give it some extra flavor.

I usually skip the holder and impale two chickens directly on the beer cans and cook them on the upper grate, using the legs as a an improvised Tri-pod to keep them from falling over.

Like this, but without the fallen over firebricks.
Ottawa-20110822-00116.jpg

LOL it was the worst chicken I ever had! I would assume I did something wrong, but I don't know what. Used beer, rubbed in the night before. Cook at the appropriate temp. Got the internal temp perfect!!!
If you didn't get some skin when you took a bite, it was the blandest taste of chicken you could ever imagine!
I may attempt this again, because I refuse to let chicken beat me!
Thanks for all the help!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy W:
If you didn't get some skin when you took a bite, it was the blandest taste of chicken you could ever imagine!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Put seasoning of some kind under the skin. You'll taste a real difference. Just don't bite your nails without washing your hands.
icon_smile.gif

I always work my finger under the skin and loosen off the meat. I usually work some rub, butter, or Boursin cheese under the skin. It's always a winner. It sounds odd, but rubbing mayo under and over the skin also makes a great tasting bird.

Don't beat yourself up. You got remember, chicken by itself isn't all that super flavorful.

I would recommend the use of a stout beer, like Guinness, instead of any lager type of beer since the latter really doesn't smell good when cooked.

Billy, try a brine or a flavored brine overnite, than let your chicken air dry in the fridge till close to supper, than add your compound butter/ rub under the skin.
I like to use an alder, cherry mix for my smokewood spice on poultry.
IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

Tim

i have had real good luck lately using gthe weber charcoal dividers with the pan in the middle..maybe a litttle less than half a chimney split between the dividers..beer ca chic in the middle and bbq bout 325 too 350 75 too 90 minutes and it comes out great.. have not used firebricks in that setup.. the key if a nice brine, really helps..

glenn in SC

Back