Beer can chicken first try

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Peoples

Well have finished my first B C chicken. Left them in the brine a little to long and they were a little salty, But the moistest chicken I have ever cooked. I also throw in some pork steaks that were laying around in the frig they were great.

I am having a little trouble with my smoke amount. Even though I have smoked things for years in homemade and little Chief smokers. I can not seem to get it in my head that you don`t need to keep adding wood to the chip pan with a water smoker. So my food keeps coming out a little to smokie for our taste.

I guess I will just keep trying.

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Charlie....

You have the right attitude...keep trying!

Now, you mention a "chip pan". What exactly are you talking about? I think you will find that all of us use wood chunks(not chips) and we throw them directly on the fire. No soaking needed. Is this how you are using the wood?

This will not affect the amount of smoke but it may result in a cleaner smoke which has less impact on the taste buds.

Kevin

I have a gas water smoker and it has a cast iron chip or chunk pan with vent lid that sets over the burner and below the water pan. Whole thing seems to work great. I just need to get to know it better to end up with the taste I want.

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Do you really need to brine a B C chicken? The steam from the beer (or whatever you use instead) is supposed to be enough to keep it moist.

I just do mine on the kettle (cuz I have a rotisserie ring that makes it tall enough) with indirect heat, and toss wood right on the coals. Works like a champ, and no brining needed. Just a lovely 4-4 rub (paprika, salt, pepper, dry mustard).

My brother doesn't have a rotisserie ring, so he improvises by just standing the chicken on the coal grate inside a foil pie pan surrounded by lit coals. He has perfect results, too.

He's referring to the Little Chief smokers. They are a light aluminum square box with a small heating element in the bottom and a small pan that looks like a small frying pan that sits on top of the heating element.

You add wood shavings (sawdust) to the little frying pan to get smoke. Since the shavings are so lite they burn quickly and if you want to keep smoke on the meat you have to replenish the shavings every hour or two.

Ahem, I post here because this will be my first BC chicken. Already deviating from tradition by no-brining but to the crux of this post.

Has anyone had better/worse luck with one beer or another. I am wondering if ales or stouts might impart different flavor. This could turn into a minor (or even major) project, after all, there are a lot of beers out there.

Ah-ha. There could be realistic goals established such as;<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>use ONLY those beers sold in cans (ya know, truth in advertising - sorta), <LI>use a control rub, <LI>same fuel on all smokes, <LI>attempt to use same brand chicken every time.[/list]

Naw, this is turning into work and not fun. Guess I'll head on down to old oasis and get a can of beer (I only have bottles in the fridge).

Keith, if you need someone to help empty them beer cans, just let me know.
icon_wink.gif

I'd be very interested in your results as this is on my TO-DO list, alright?

Don C. *Hasn't met a beer he didn't like*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don C.:
Keith, if you need someone to help empty them beer cans, just let me know.
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Appreciate the offer. Problem I am finding at 0900 in this section of the Bible Belt, is that no liquor stores are open YET. So frustrating sometimes. The few convenience stores I stopped at had Bud, and Bud, and ok this is will do, Coors (I grew up on Colorado Kool-Aid). But, until I get to a liquor store, I am fast coming to the conclusion that if I want to experiment with ales or such, will have to buy bottle and xfer contents to can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rath:
Rath *Hasn't met a beer he didn't like* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rath, the picture was familiar as was the signature but I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I read elsewhere. But, Rath is good, I'll try to use it.

BTW: If you truly haven't met a beer you didn't like, I wish I could introduce you to a few I have met over the years. (hehe)

Thanks Keith, I've been Rath for so long it seemed only natural. But Chris A. asked, and very nicely too, the we use our real names.

Beer is an aquired taste anyway. And they all taste the same after the 3rd sip.

Don C. *missing his handle*

I find it hard to believe that the difference in beer choices would add much that one could taste over the rub. Why would you waste an Anchor Steam, Sierra-Nevada, or any other of these regional delights by turning them into steam?

On the other hand, I can't think of a better use for the generic bud, coors, or miller branded malt beverages. I certainly wouldn't want to drink them.
icon_wink.gif

FYI...Saw some Woodchuck Draft Cider - Granny Smith and decided to try that with some of the rub tossed in.

*Rath and Mords always welcome*

Hi,
I was wondering, while reading all these posts,
if the contents of the can really flavors or moisturizes the chicken. Or is it more like the water in the water pan that we all agree doesn't really effect the juiciness.

Maybe its better to fill the can with water and then fill your mouth with beer !!!!!or tequila, or wine or vodka or......

Al

Well, the chicken was quite good. Slightly overdone (IMUO - untutored). The rub was the key to this one since it wasn't brined. Will try that next time.

Yep, preparation (drinking some of beer or cider beforehand) and consumption with cooked bird is definitely the best application of the beverage. Will try just water next time (heat sink ?). Poured out majority of what was in the can to start with.
icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back