Beer Butt at Higher Temp Cook Time

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to do my first beer butt/can chicken on the WSM this afternoon. My 5.25 lb roaster has been soaking in brine since yesterday afternoon and I've made the Cajun Rub from the Steve Raichlen "Beer-Can Chicken" book. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I've done lots of them on my gas grill, but this is my first on the WSM. I want crisp skin so I am going to try smoking at 300 - 350. I've never tried running the WSM at higher temps so it should be interesting. My plans: I'll leave the water pan empty and line it with foil.

Any ideas as to how long it'll take? At the lower temps, I was assuming 4 - 5 hr. At the higher temps is 2 - 3 hr more realistic? Any tips on running at higher temps? Charcoal amounts? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thanks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Doug,
I like to run the cooker a little hotter when I cook chicken, for the same reason, better skin. You still want to cook it to the same internal temp and I aim for 300* cook temp. That temp works on thighs but I haven't tried it with a whole bird. Good luck and keep us posted.
Dave

Well I cooked the beer butt chicken on the lower rack with a temp at lid of 300 and it came out great. In fact it was done in about 2 hours. I was amazed on how well the WSM kept the temp. During the entire cooking process the temp never moved more than 5 - 10 degrees.

The skin was fine, but it could have been a bit crispier. Next time, I'll try for 325. The bird was moist due to the brine and the beer can. The Cajun rub tasted great.

I'll definitely do beer butt chicken again and work at 325 for 2 hours.

The best way I have found to make beer can chicken is to cook it on my weber simpson grill very hot. I open all the vents and cook it indirect and go for 50 minutes to an hour.

The skin gets really nice and crisp and the meat is really juicy and not dry at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back