Beef Shoulder

John T

OK, I have smoked chicken, brisket, Pork Butt, and ribs (spares and backs). I even ventured out, and tried a salmon fillet on the WSM...it turned out great.

Does anyone have experience with Beef Shoulder (or other cuts)?

I saw some in BJ's, and thought it might be worth a try.

Hello John,

I smoked a 20 pound chuck roll Sunday night. Like you I wanted to try something a little different since I've smoked 4 packer cut briskets, 6 pork shoulders, and six whole chickens over the last three weeks!

The chuck roll was so large I decided to cut it in half which helped reduce the cooking time and of course I ended up with more surface area for the oak smoke to penetrate.
The cook started about 9:00 PM, I foiled 11 hours into the cook, I put the meat in a cooler at 14 hours, and finally I sliced and sauced the meat at 18 hours.
Yes I made thin slices with an electric knife across the grain which had about the same effect as pulling except I didn't burn my hands and I processed the meat faster than if I had pulled it. I used a modified version of the Wild Willys number Onederful rub from the "Smoke and Spice" cook book and I mopped the meat with a combination of broth, apple juice, and a couple of tablespoons of the rub.

I will cook this cut agin but only when I need/want a large quantity of BBQ beef sandwiches. The food saver got a good workout with all those packages!

Back