Beef Round Tip from Costco. Need help!

Art O.

Hey gang,

I have a round tip(8 lbs.) on my WSM as I type, lower level under a Butt and Spares. I'm currently at 134 degrees for the round tip.

'Til what temp should I be cooking this thing to?

And should I shred it or slice it?

Thanks.
AJ

Round tips are fairly lean.Pull temp depends on how cooked you like your beef--med rare, med,,,
Pulling now should give you med rare-med or thereabouts, depending on what temp rise you get during the rest. You can go to a higher internal if you wish. Slice it.

I do their Whole Tip roast of 8-10 pounds, and go to 150, foil and rest for 2 hours, slice against the grain on the slicer. Makes great sammies with my Horseradish mustard mixed with mayo. I did one to 180 (Got home late!!) and it was very tender, but very dry. At 150, it was still nice and pink.

Sounds delicious. I had one hit 162 once--had a mare having a hard time with her first foal delivery--and it was juicy. Don't think the temp could've gone too much higher without suffering.

I took it off @ 147 and let it sit for 1.5 hours. I sliced and made an au jous(sp?) from the juices. It had 2 fat patches in the middle. Looked like a prime rib cut when I sliced wider pieces. I tried to slice most of it thinly. I think a slicer is in my future.

Boy, there's a lot of meat with this thing.

AJ

My Wife bought me a slicer for Christmas. I have used it many times since then. Pain in the rectillius major , but worth every cent! Next time, will you pull it at the same time, or let it go longer? Sooner?

Back