Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast same as Tri-Tip?

JP Stanley

TVWBB Member
I'm wanting to make the Dueling Bubbas Grand Tri-Tip recipe from the Weber Live Fire book, but when I looked for a "tri-tip roast" at my local Sams club all I could find was "BEEF ROUND SIRLOIN TIP ROAST COV" is that the same thing? They had another one that was bigger that said "butt" instead of "tip". I bought the one that said "tip" and btw, it was 12 lbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JP Stanley:
I'm wanting to make the Dueling Bubbas Grand Tri-Tip recipe from the Weber Live Fire book, but when I looked for a "tri-tip roast" at my local Sams club all I could find was "BEEF ROUND SIRLOIN TIP ROAST COV" is that the same thing? They had another one that was bigger that said "butt" instead of "tip". I bought the one that said "tip" and btw, it was 12 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tri Tips come from the bottom sirloin. Depending on what exactly you have, you may have a primal cut that contains the tri tip you're looking for.

Sirloin tip isn't sirloin, it's round, as the package notes. It's actually called 'knuckle', but the marketing term has been around a while and one usually sees it referred to that way at the retail level.

Though they are close in proximity on the carcass (they are next to each other) they aren't close in size, shape or texture.

Sirloin Tips are one of my favorite cuts to cook. Smoked to 125*f internal, I get perfect slices of rare beef with a great beef flavor. It sounds by the weight of the cut that yours is cut differently. Here the sirloin tip is smaller because they are cutting part of it out to sell as steak.

Back